LOOKING FOR SOME ADVICE

lenray

I have been a member on this forum and also the old one. Not trolling here for business.

I am 62 reside in mid-Michigan and we have a dozen nice mobile home lots--not a park.

These lots are from 1/2 acre to 2-3 acres and located in an Amish farming community.

Some are river lots and some in a woods etc.

We want to convert these lots to RV lots as they become available.

Is there a market for someone to bring their RV to a location and use that location for 6-8 months or even a year if desired. Thinking there may be follks who have sold their home and travel to the south in the winter and stay in the north in the warmer months.

HERE IS THE QUESTION------I think there may be a market for this---but not sure. And if there is how does a person like myself find these folks???

Would be looking for 1500.00 to 2000.00 lot rent per year.

Would appreciate and good suggestions.

Thanks len at clare, michigan

Yeah cen. Mich. is as cold as TO and a little warmer than Pickle Lake where I fish in the summer.

Just looking for mostly summer residents with the option to leave their unit on the property full time if needed.

Michigan isn't a place for Canadians to winter for sure. I am looking for US citizens but thought a Canadian brother might have an idea on how I can find a few folks in the US market for something like this.

Looking for some ideas form good business folks who might be able to offer suggestions. Thanks

Len, I live on the south western side of the suburbs of Cleveland. Sort of the first really rural area in that part. Lots of camp grounds with in 10 or 15 minutes from me, a lot more just a bit farther.

I have been to some of them, most, if not all don`t have lots near that size. Not sure what you are trying to do, short term? or long term? A permanent place or people have to remove their campers at certain time of the year.

I am also on the fringe of Amish country here. Some of the campgrounds are party parks, some have much more restrictive rules. Some seem to have a high number of retirees and are peaceful places, some a mixed age crowd and more noise.

Most here are people that live or work in the Cleveland area and want a quiet or country atmosphere for their free time, away from the concrete jungle.

Lenray if I was in your position I would probably look at obtaining some advertising in an RV/Campground directory. Or try to arrange some advertising through RV dealers in your state as those would be some of the most direct advertising to your market. I hope this helped and I hope there are some other ideas from others that can help you. There are some smart business people on this board that gave me some great advice about trying to set up my business. Good Luck!

How is the hunting in that area.Michigan has a ton of hunters and if hunting is close by you could book the place up in the fall no problem.

Looking out my window on the 40 acre alfalfa field--there are over 80 deer right now.

We are looking for folks who will use each lot for the entire 6-12 month period. Not looking to have different residents each month etc. This would be more of a semi-permanent home or a place where they left their RV and returned to it as often as they desired.

Thanks for the thoughts from you folks--hoping for more ideas.

[email protected]

Joe

Perhaps you may be better off marketing to people living in the big city near you (whatever that may be).

It is quite common around here for people to have weekend get-away trailers/RV spots that are not too far away from home. Sherkston Shores is a great example of that. Just a huge park with very nicely made trailers and all kinds of people who spend summers/weekends there.

Sounds like a good idea in theory, but have you thought of the following things,

Water Supply

Sewage storage and removal

Garbage pickup

Permits

Insurance for Liability

Snow loads on those RVs if they are staying over the winter months

Access and snow removal

Are you severing and selling the lots or are you planning to run it like a trailer park. There are strict regulation here in regards to parks, I am not sure if it is that way in the States.

There would be a draw, and interest, you are in a beautiful part of the country... but don't put yourself at risk!

Len,

I ( and quite a few others on this board) have had trailers in a "park" for many years. We use them from May till October for week-end get aways. Like Jen says, you need to think about septic, water supply, and all the other stuff. You can be selective about the people that rent from you. The main thing is that they get along and don't cause you any trouble.

We rent the site for the season and own our own trailer homes. I have had mine for over 20 years and love it! Of course if you have any kind of water on the property such as a small lake, pond, or river, it would add to the attraction for outdoors people.

Good luck and just make sure you are covered for liability and such.

Thanks folks for the thoughts--let me add a few thoughts here. I have been in the rental business for over 30 years.

These lots have been set up for as long as 15 years on some and some not so long.

There is water-septic-electric-drives- trees-landscaping-areas for a veg. garden- storage bldg. etc. We are currently renting to folks who own their own mobile home--trailer house on these lots. These are private lots all with in a 5 sq. mile area--a lot here another lot a mile away etc. Not together.

We want to get away from the full time 12 month permanent renters on these lots.

Thought we wanted renters with RV'S----never thought about folks who live in say the city and want a private getaway and have their own 12X60 OR 14X70 and use it as a vacation home.

Thanks VERY much for that thought. That is the reason for the original question--trying to find some help.

Hoping to hear some more of your good thinking.

Len, to give an example, my neighbors at one time owned a 3 or 4 acre unbuildable lot. They had a small trailer and a storage shed on it. City dwellers that didn`t want to invest in an expensive piece of land for part time use. They went out there on weekends and vacations and had a big garden, something they couldn`t do in the city. A place to relax. Buildable land is much more expensive here.

Once they were ready they moved out here full time, but had that place for a lot of years. Security issues may be a concern for some if the lots are scattered. It should be stated in a lease or rental agreement that is out of your control.

Probably people looking for that kind of set up you just have to find them. Some grocery stores in cities have free places to list things for sale or rent, you might find something on the web to advertise on? LOL have an e-bay auction?

Edited by OhioFisherman

Look at your Michigan and US markets. Mid Michigan is to far for Ontarians to drive for a weekend and with the new border procedures coming into effect there will, in time, be nightmares getting across, at least in the short term. Now where to look...do the research with you local tourism agency, the municipality ( to see if this will be allowed in your area ) Your State environmental agency to be sure they will allow the sewerage and you have an adequate safe water supply , and the cost of running lines to all these sites, as well as meet density requirements just to name some of the points of development. While I did mention sewerage above due to the water course you mentioned in your post many municipalities and environmental agency's will limit the amount of development around same unless you are on city sewerage system with the affluent being piped to a treatment plant.

Also to be considered is the cost of roads, electricity being run to the sites and weather you want one meter or individual meters to the sites (* I STRONGLY recommend individual meters ). If you can provide enough water from well(s) make sure the water is safe, as mentioned above, or if city water is piped in how do you wish to be billed I.E. individual meters to the RV's ( if seasonal not very feasible ) and take into consideration what your overall cost will be when you provide "free" water as part of the seasonal cost and the waste that comes with it. maintenance costs involved with an operation like this also have to be looked at. The list is much longer and since working at a campground for the past few years has opened my eyes to the costs involved.

* The only problem is you are then faced with multiple bills once the RV's pull out so my suggestion is for permanent sites only.

Edited by Garyv