9.9hp Motors

MCTFisher9120

Completely agree - unless you plan to load it in and out of float planes on a daily basis, I would not even consider a two-stroke now. There's just no good reason to cling to 1950s technology any more.

Moot point anyway, as not one company even makes a two-stroke 9.9 any more. In that power range, Yamaha, Merc, Suzuki, Honda, Nissan, Tohatsu and APS only deal in four-strokes now. Even Evinrude doesn't build one - closest they have is a 15hp E-Tec, which I'm told is tough to obtain since it's essentially a de-tuned 25.

BTW if you are near any fishing camps / cottages that replace their outboards every year or so maybe you can snag a nice deal.

These motors are abused and beat up, as sometimes they are operated by inexperienced individuals. I would be weiry purchasing a resort motor.

Anybody know what speed range I could achieve with my boat and a 9.9hp? The boat is 12'long and very deep it feels.

With 2 guys and a casting deck, battery, trolling motor....I bet around 12-14mph

Can it hold a 15? That would get you around 20+ with 2 people. 25 with just you...that might be a little scary though in a 12.

Do you plan on fishing with the boat loaded and with a buddy most of the time?

Now's the time to research and decide man...its a big purchase and the last thing you want is to be disappointed with it.

Edited by scugog

Bottom line is......spending $3,000.00 PLUS TAX on a outboard for a car top 12' boat is NUTS ! ! !

Find a good used motor at 1/3 that price of less and it will serve you until you get a bigger boat and you will if you fish much.

Bob

I tend to agree.... unless.... the motor you buy today will be with you for twenty years or become the kicker motor for the next boat you buy. Otherwise, you'll never realize its worth.

Probably can find a 9.9 4 stroke in the $1500 range that isn't too old. But if that merc is $2300 thats not bad.

Do your research......you'll find something that works.

I agree, that price isn't too bad at all. I don't know, there is just something about a used motor that i'm not interested in. Getting a new outboard means it should run true from the moment I use it. I'll have it for years and I can trust something that I have taken care of.

Mike, if you test it (a used one) before you buy it then you will feel better about your puchase. My Honda is over 10 years old and runs like a brand new unit. I bet it will still be going strong in another 10 years.

*edit* if you want to see what I mean on Sat. then PM me and you are more then welcome to check out my Honda. BTW, mine isn't for sale.

Edited by GBW

I agree, that price isn't too bad at all. I don't know, there is just something about a used motor that i'm not interested in. Getting a new outboard means it should run true from the moment I use it. I'll have it for years and I can trust something that I have taken care of.

Not only that but there's usually a 3yr warranty that gives you peace of mind not having to spend $$$ on major repairs just keep it maintained.

I bought a used 4 stroke this year maybe had 10hrs on it. I lucked out its been a champ. As long as its not a camp motor I wouldn't be concerned about buying a late model used.