Trout closer

MJL

I started ‘trout season’ on opener with my dad, and I definitely wanted to end it with him. My dad has never caught a brook trout before or stalked the shrub-lined, brushy hell holes with me before for the resident trout. With nothing better to do Wednesday, he joined me for a day of fishing. Considering I couldn’t get out on the weekend, and it rained Tuesday, I HAD to get out Wednesday.

We hit up a river around 11:30 looking for brookies. I definitely wanted to try to photograph some fish in bright spawning colours. First cast into the pool I land this one with a spinner

P1030728a.jpg

My dad also using a Panther Martin gets his first ever brookie

P1030732a.jpg

Hens are quite drab compared to the male specks

P1030734.jpg

When the spinner action died down, I switched up

P1030738_filtered-1.jpg

P1030739a_filtered-1.jpg

P1030742.jpg

Colourful male

P1030736.jpg

FrozenFire Joined us at the river around 12:30…Unfortunately he missed the flurry of activity. He also took the wrong ‘path’ to the river to meet us. There was no real path but there certainly was an easier way to get to the water :lol:

On the way back to the car, we saw this fellow – There’s a big red band…Does this mean it’s going to be a mild winter?

P1030745-1.jpg

He curled up into a furry ball when I tried to pet him

P1030746-1.jpg

1:30, we were off to another river in the hopes of landing a trophy brown trout. We walked for a few KM down the river probing the pools, log jams, undercuts, riffles and various runs. My dad used to fish for steelhead a lot with me in the past and when I told him I’d get a brown out of a spot no more than 4-5 inches deep, he didn’t believe me.

2nd cast with a small Mepps and I got one (first cast the fish swiped the lure and missed). It really opened up his eyes to the amount of fishable water he walked past and didn’t fish. Big spots for such a little guy.

P1030750.jpg

Last brown from this river till next year

P1030752a.jpg

I landed 8-9 small browns to about 12 inches there and Frozen Fire landed a couple. My dad didn’t get any browns but got chub to keep him occupied. Unfortunately my dream of getting a monster resident brown will have to wait until next year :( ... but at least that’s keeping me hungry till next April :) .

I loved every minute of my trout fishing adventures this season (including those moments where I was: getting eaten alive by mosquitoes, falling into the river and dunking/destroying a camera, getting lost on the backroads in the middle of no where and patching my waders to the point where just about all of it below the knees is aquaseal). Can't wait to stalk the streams again next year.

Hope you enjoyed

Off I go to learn more about fishing for fall walleyes and I may also pull out my steelheading kit from storage - It's been a while.

Thanks for making this such an entertaining read Mike. Those are some great looking brookies and browns. Too bad a surprise rainbow didn't show up to complete the hat-trick :ninja: . Congrats to your dad for his first brookie, I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to return.

I loved every minute of my trout fishing adventures this season (including those moments where I was: getting eaten alive by mosquitoes, falling into the river and dunking/destroying a camera, getting lost on the backroads in the middle of no where and patching my waders to the point where just about all of it below the knees is aquaseal). Can't wait to stalk the streams again next year.

6 months ago I wouldn't have understood what you mean here. Having checked off most of the above while beginning my resident trout quest this past summer, I can say you undersold these challenges by a mile!

I may also pull out my steelheading kit from storage - It's been a while.

See you out there!

Mike has turned me into a trout addict... and a double Big Mac lover. :(

I was late for the action, but still managed a couple of fine specimens.

This could very well be one of the most beautiful fish I've caught!

brookie1.jpg

I didn't do too well for browns, but managed a couple as well.

This one had an adipose fin that was on fire! It was glowing in the water. I couldn't believe it.

brown3.jpg

brown1.jpg

brown2.jpg

Edited by frozen-fire

Mike your an inspiration when it comes to writing a report, laying down the details and catching brookies & browns :clapping:

I truly enjoyed reading your adventures along the shorelines and want to say thank you for sharing them :worthy::thumbsup_anim:B)

Good luck with the eyes and the upcoming season!!!

Congrats to your dad on his first :clapping:

Leechman

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report! Love the red ones. Didn't know those were the males but it makes sense.

Frozen fire's fish looks awesome too. Don't know if its the fish or his camera but the colors are remarkable.

Good to see you spending time with your dad.

Must say that I'm a little jealous Mike! Our trout closer saw the rivers in a mudshake state after the massive Tuesday rain. Tybrad and I tried 5 spots on closer and couldn't find anything that wasn't blown! Great report as always. I'll get my report from the week before trout closer up soon! (yeah, I got Ty into his first ever trout before the close!) Steelhead it is!

Great report. Our rivers were blown out the guelph way. I ended up having a few hours free thursday morning but couldn't find a stream worth fishing. I probably should have headed further east!

Good luck with hunt for fall walleye, my brother-inlaw and I hit the bay of quinte this past weekend for the first time. Despite spending the better part of the entire weekend on the water we got skunked on walleye. Could have filled the boat with perch but no eyes.

I am looking forward to trying to catch steelhead on the fly rod this fall.