night fishin at a hydro dam on the trent

tb4me

Ok we seen a few guys fishin right off the hydro dam at night. It was on the trent river just north of Campbellford. I have the feeling that thier fishin for night eyes. How productive is this type of fishing? I also see them all over the dam where the trent meets with rice lake in Hastings. Im tempted to go try this upcomming weekend. Any advice and or tips for a newbie dam fisher? Id love to read about this stuff.

The dam in Hastings is a great spot for pics at night. As are any of the others.

Use slip sinkers with worms or minnows on the edge of the current or on the flat.

Try to get right beside the light in the middle of the bridge on the downstream side. (You have to get there early) Or go across and fish the upside of the bridge.

You can also try any other spots where it is flat.

Don't forget to bring a net that you can lower down. It is about 30ft so if you hook a good one they are tough to bring up :)

walleye or catfish.... aren't Walleye nocturnal feeders?

both walleye and catfish are night feeders and both can be fished with the same bottom rigs. but, you'll use different sizes of hooks and baits.

either way, its usually more effective to fish for both species at night for the big mama's :D

tb4me,

I am also on the Trent but a considerable distance further south and have fished the 1st & 2nd dams, usually for the "Picks"..once musky season has closed.

You can do this through the winter at the 1st dam, I head out once the 'NO-Fishn Bluz' set in.

For the net required to lower anywhere from 8-40+ feet just grab an old net you may have lyin around your shed or basement and a 26-28" bicycle rim, W/braided line SEW the net to the outside of the rim.

Next-get some of that nylon rope (3/8") lengthy enough to reach your desired amount and split the weave enough to tie the 3 separate lengths at equal distances apart on the rim (Tripod) and again (Sew w/PP) to make firm the connection. Your good to go!

No sinkers here. fish right beside the current but not in it, 3/8-5/8oz jig heads tipped w/worms or minnows.

Crap...1st remove the SPOKES from the bicycle rim prior to sewing on the net....

-bNb

..I should add that a longer rod then usual is used to get your line away from swinging under/away from obstructions, other anglers etc...and I use braided line spooled to a min. 300 series spinning gear w/ 12-16' of (double the diam of main line) flurocarbgon leader. (Seagur)

-#8PP & #12 Seagur I beleive is what I used, been a couple of years but I still see the anglers out each winter, them ones who arent on the ice anyway.

-bNb

EDIT: It's been about 10 years now,but when the twins were younger, I'd take them up to the bridge/dam, in Hastings (right by the main hywy heading north/south.)...to learn how to use a Rod/Reel and catch pannies at the same time by the dozens...

Just about the only fish that we pulled out of there were bluegils-rock bass....I dont recall anyone catching pickeral......a few smallish catfish yes or the odd smallie around 1-lb but that was it. I knew if we ventured up stream a little to the flats as was mentioned we couldve gotten into some picks but those outings in those days were only for the kids.

Edited by brickNblock