Reels

walleyejack

Seeing as i can t get parts for my Browning anymore I am looking at a new reel,any ideas for a half decent medium/light reel for Walley fishing ? My Browning worked well for years,needs a new spring to bring the bail back,but anyone i talked to says none of the folks that service reels have no parts for Browning anymore,so have to bite the bullet or keep an eye on the bail and make sure it returns after tossing the line out.

Thanks Al

You could buy another cheap reel and throw it away when it needs service, but I would look at the Shimano Saros or Stradic.

They are about as good as a spinning reels get and with Shimano, service and parts aren't going to be an issue.

Edited by garry2rs

Browning reels seem to be a BPS house brand now.

Their head office is in Springfield Missouri. You might try phoning them for parts.

I have sent many reels to Pro Reel service in Wichita Kansas. Kevin does good work at a reasonable price and he might have parts...Click here...

Before you go any farther, sometimes all that is needed is fix a spinning reel is to correct the bend of the bail...If the bail has been deformed, it will bind when it tries to close. Look at the end pieces and see if re-arching the bail might do the trick.

Also, most Pro's close their bail by hand, some say it cuts down on line twist. With braid I close the bail by hand and move the line onto the pick-up roller. This saves having loose line jump off the spool or wind around the front of the reel.

Give me a call if you are doing anything that will require mailing to and from the USA. I will be going south for the winter, in a couple of weeks, and can save you money on postage etc.

Edited by garry2rs

Thanks Garry

It might be more than it is worth to fix it,and I still have a 20yr old reel. I appreciate your offer,will let you know what I am going to do

Browning reels seem to be a BPS house brand now.

Their head office is in Springfield Missouri. You might try phoning them for parts.

I have sent many reels to Pro Reel service in Wichita Kansas. Kevin does good work at a reasonable price and he might have parts...Click here...

Before you go any farther, sometimes all that is needed is fix a spinning reel is to correct the bend of the bail...If the bail has been deformed, it will bind when it tries to close. Look at the end pieces and see if re-arching the bail might do the trick.

Also, most Pro's close their bail by hand, some say it cuts down on line twist. With braid I close the bail by hand and move the line onto the pick-up roller. This saves having loose line jump off the spool or wind around the front of the reel.

Give me a call if you are doing anything that will require mailing to and from the USA. I will be going south for the winter, in a couple of weeks, and can save you money on postage etc.

quantum energy is a sick reel. but u could get the kinetic PT20 for about 100 bucks and its a solid reel. very light, well made, great drag system on it. service is excellant with them too should u ever have a problem. oh, and with quantum PT reels... there is no spring in the bail arm to fail on u! ;)

I have some more expensive reels but this spring I bought an Abu Garcia 503 from CTC when it was on sale for 50% off. I paid $39.98 and I also bought one for my dad. A good reel for that price. I was so impressed I also bought a 501 too but when I looked in the box it turned out to be a 601 (even better!) and I got it for the same price too. No real complaints about it except for the screws on the body came a bit loose. Put a tiny amount of loctite on each on and it has been good ever since.

Last year I also picked up an U.S. Reels SX 230. Got it brand new off ebay for 59.99. By the time it got to me it ended up costing $90 but it is a good reel with a nice drag system

Seeing as i can t get parts for my Browning anymore I am looking at a new reel,any ideas for a half decent medium/light reel for Walley fishing ? My Browning worked well for years,needs a new spring to bring the bail back,but anyone i talked to says none of the folks that service reels have no parts for Browning anymore,so have to bite the bullet or keep an eye on the bail and make sure it returns after tossing the line out.

Thanks Al

Have you looked at Mike's Reel Repair site? 54 Browning models listed in PDF with part numbers.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/thumbnails.php?album=29

i've got quantum icon reels, 5 of them...

they have the magnetic bail... works flawlessly

i've been using them for 8 years with no issues... i bought the 20 size reels and use them year round, in the winter they go on the icerods...

they perform flawlessly... no regrets

i don't service them either...