Notty Salmon?

ch312

spent most of the day and over half a tank of gas yesterday looking for them at a few spots i know of. but, i didnt even see a sign of fish. is it too early? did i miss the run this year?

not looking for any spots, just the status of the run. :D

Salmon in southern GB = in trouble (from what I have seen or heard)

I would say you missed a good part of the early run. I was getting a few in the 2nd and 3rd week of August already. Last week I saw someone pull out a couple over 20lbs which looked like some Lake Ontario sized average Chinnies.

But I don't think you have to worry there's probably a couple more runs coming till October, plus the Notty is a big river, not always easy to locate where they are.

Yes, the Notti Salmon run isn't what it use to be. Fished the mouth and the Mc D sections and not even a bump on Thursday. It was a perfect day weatherwise, with a north wind, cloudy and light drizzle. The water was high, not too muddy but there was not a fish to be seen. Back a few years ago, there used to be a parade of boats that trolled the mouth at this time of the year. Didn't see one the year. Personally, I am giving up until the bows starts moving up.

Yes, the Notti Salmon run isn't what it use to be. Fished the mouth and the Mc D sections and not even a bump on Thursday. It was a perfect day weatherwise, with a north wind, cloudy and light drizzle. The water was high, not too muddy but there was not a fish to be seen. Back a few years ago, there used to be a parade of boats that trolled the mouth at this time of the year. Didn't see one the year. Personally, I am giving up until the bows starts moving up.

when i showed up at my usual spot i was in shock that i was the only person there. usually at this time of year there would be 15 people within casting distance. but, there have also been fish around those times.

now the question is...do i spend another $40 on gas next weekend to try again...

btw...the only fish i landed were 4 gobies when i was bored beyond belief and sore from 100,000 casts :wallbash:

Either wait for a strong NW or N wind for a day or 2, or a good heavy rain and fish it 2 or 3 days later, just because the water gets so brown, they should be in there.

Other than that, if you want better numbers and bigger fish, Lake Ontario Tributaries

Oh and best lure for casting to Salmon in the Notty would usually be a Fire Tiger pattern hard bait minnow, get something that rattles

I've talked to many locals who fishes the Notti daily and a small batch of fish did go thru mid August but its been sporatic at best since. I am not saying there are no salmon in the Notti, just that the numbers aren't there anymore. Last Thursday was perfect, strong north wind with a bit of rain mixed in. There should have been fish pushing thru. Tried for four hours and all I got for my effort was a four inch rockbass. At least I can say I didn't get skunked. LOL.