More Chinook Fever

daryl0815

Had a few spare hours yesterday and today, so I managed to get out for some Salmon action 2 days in a row! These past couple weeks seem to have been pretty good to me when it comes to Salmon.

Yesterday was a little slow, only 2 fish on and only 1 fish landed in about 6 hours of fishing, but the water was really muddy and high, the fish seemed more interested in running than holding in deep pools, we also hit about 4 different spots on 2 different tribs.

Here is the one from yesterday

DSCF2434.jpg

Today I only got out for about an hour, but managed 1 fish landed and 2 on, definitely a little more action, the water had gone down a little and was a nice green colour. Probably the biggest Salmon that I have caught this year, but I forgot my OFC sign for team 10! oh well, I am sure there will be bigger ones to come.

DSCF2435.jpg

The fish from today, 25 lbs and just under 40"

DSCF2436.jpg

A face only a mother could love

After a bit of reviving, both fish swam away so that they can hopefully spawn and help future Salmon come up the creeks.

Both fish were caught on Marshmallows, drifted on bottom with a couple of split shot.

ps- thanks to the board members who helped me out with adding these larger pics to my posts, it has been most helpful!

Marshmellows, a fav by many these past week, lol.

I'm told they like the big fluffy white ones the best.

You know, cause salmon prefer what accidentally drifts into their mouths.

I'm told they like the big fluffy white ones the best.

You know, cause salmon prefer what accidentally drifts into their mouths.

I agree, sometimes that is what happens, they have a tendancy to swim around with their mouths open. I havent actually caught any on white ones, I use chartreuse and orange. But on 2 seperate occasions I have watched Salmon actually move 3-4 feet over to take a marshmallow, so I would say there is a little from column a and a little from column b. To clarify though, none of my fish were force fed, I will let a fish sit 3 feet in front of me undisturbed, to properly and ethically fish a pool.

Wow, those are some huge fish from what appears to be a small river. I've never tried river fishing but I can sure see what the attraction is thumbsup_anim.gif

It can be a challenge, with trees and obstacles in the water, especially without waders to chase after them with!

If you ever want to give it a shot and you are around the Whitby area let me know, I think I could get you into some fish.