spinning reel size??1000 or 2500?

sconceptor

Hey, Just wondering what preference is usually give to reel size? I am thinking of a 1000 series Stradic FI. Typically, I buy 2500 series. I used 1000 series with a guide last year, and he said the feel is increased, you save a little money, and save on wasted line. It makes sense. The rod I'm matching it on is my new custom made wedding present 6'6" St.Croix Legend Extreme medium fast. I'll either be jigging for 'eyes or tossing tubes/senkos for smallies with it, and won't really need lots of line. The 2500s make sense on my 7ft rods, which I might be trolling with or casting crank baits with. I have one 4000 for when I might fish for carp or salmon off the pier(fish that make large runs, and you take huge casts for).

I would go with the 2500 series dor these reasons A. larger spool means longer casts to spooky fish, also less line twisting if using mono or floro. also bigger gears and drag washers than the 1500 and will likely balance your 6.6ft rod better than the 1500 although the best way is to take your rod in and put both reels on it, and see what feels right for you

I would take the rod with you and mout both reels to see which balances better. Take into account the weight of the line you'll be putting on (maybe 1oz for the 1000, more for the 2500). I'm going to guess the 1000 will balance better, but it will depend on the weight of the components you had it built with.

I do a lot of light tackle fishing like jigging for walleyes and some jigging for smallmouth on Lake Erie....my go to rod is a light action 6'-6" graphite rod with what you would be considering a 1000 type (light) reel. This is a EXCELLENT finesse rod and reel combo and I have been using for about 35 years. With this set up I have consistently out fished others in the boat using heavier combo's...... HOWEVER, this is NOT a all around rod & reel that you can troll worm harnesses or crank baits with. That kind of fishing needs a heavier rod then I use with this light reel.

Now take note: This is a 6# test line set up or what I like better.. a 4# test line rod & reel combo.....but once you use this for any length of time you will not set it down and YOU WILL OUT FISH MOST OTHERS in the boat.

BTW...I RARELY lose fish using 4# test line. When a heavy fish is hooked and you will know that....BACK REEL, especially near the boat and you will land 98% of your fish with a HUGE smile on your face (largest fish landed with this light combo....7.5 lb walleye at the head of the Niagara River).

Bob

I have two Stradic 1000's.

One is on a ML 6'9" Avid and the other on a 7' ML G.Loomis GL-3 rod.

These are my Fluke/Senko rods and I use them for baits of 1/4 ounce or less. In my opinion, these smaller reels are just the right size for these rods and baits.

Garry2R's

I use a 1000 size reel only for 4 and 6 pound test.

for 8 and up I use a 2500 or the newer 3000 sizes.

one thing with the 1000 size reels is the drag is not as strong as it is designed for light lines..

so if you are targeting small fish, no problem for the 1000 size.

but for larger fish, the 2500 size is better. and manages line better too because of the larger diameter spool (larger coils means it casts better and will have less problems)

but for UL fishing, the 1000 sizes are great.