We wanna be Florida Snowbirds

crappieperchhunter

My grandparents where snowbirds. Packed up and headed South to Zephyrhills Florida at the end of November and came back in April. Went down to visit a few times and even spend Xmas there one year. They where in a mobile home seniors park. I really liked it even as a kid...and have alway had it in the back of my mind that SOMEDAY I'd like to do the same.

Retirement is getting closer...ever so slowly...but closer, so I have been giving it some more thought lately. Thought I would throw this out to any OFC'ers who might have some first hand knowledge of areas down there.

Not looking for anything fancy. Just something small clean and affordable. To rent or own. Gotta be close to or on water...for fishing OF COURSE. Inland water or the Ocean..doesn't matter, and close to other things as well. Don't need to be in a highly populated area...but we don't want to be in the boonies either.

Any insight would be appreciated and PM if you wish.

Thx to all for any help.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Sue and I have been doing a lot of research on that very topic. Much too much for me to type out here but you'd be surprised at what we have found out and how easy it would be for two people to retire and how little it would cost. I'm talking comfort, luxury, freedom (and lots of fishing)! Lets get together and talk about it.

My parents used to go to 3 Worlds RV Resort near Davenport FL. Not that I'd recommend the place but they rented a park model trailer from the park manager the 1st year for about 4 or 5 months. In following years they rented one from their longtime friend for 2 to 3 months in the winter season, cash $$ in the same park. They enjoyed the atmosphere and made new friends from across the States and from home and that was long enough away for them.

Renting took the burden of ownership in a foreign country away from them and they could come and go as they pleased, no attachments was best. When my fathers health began to fail there were no troubles such as expenses, upkeep and concerns, memories are a great keepsake.

The relaxed and social gatherings in a well operated RV park can be rewarding with events like bingo, pot luck dinners, pool and group tours etc. Worth looking into as an option.

Enjoy your upcoming Snowbird status.

Check out Panama City FL or Destin FL if fishing is high on your priority list. It can get a little cool in late Jan/Feb but the prices are right and the fishing is awesome. Charters & accomodations there are a lot cheaper than south FL. Definitely worth some internet investigation.

Good Luck in your search,

Symon

My parents had a trailer in Holiday, FL (About 45mins north of Tampa)... Monthly fees I think for their place were around $300 a month.. Fantastic fishing as well, my oldman and I would go out to HoneyMoon Island State Park and catch all kinds of fish (whitings, pomps, sea trout, ladyfish, spanish mackerel, etc).. Also if you like baseball, Dunedin is the place the Jays call home for the winter.

They also checked out Panama city last year.. The accommodations were great, but the fishing was less then par...nice beaches though, lol...