Car Battery (NF)

ketchenany

Two months ago I parked my 95 Jeep Grand C inside as I got a smaller Jeep (Compass). Plan to use the Grand C in the winter . . .

For the first two weeks or so I started it and all was well then one day it didn't, :wallbash: I put a charger on it and off it went. Last week I let it run for a bout 1/2 hour or so moved it to a new parking spot, went to start it and nothing :wallbash: got it going again. Last night the same thing, wouldn't start. :wallbash:

Should I be disconnecting the battery when the car just sits there, I've never stored a car before . . .

I've had this car for many years and NEVER had a problem with starting until I parked it. :dunno:

Could be the batter has a dead cell or is sulphated and s not holding a full charge. COuld be your alternator is toast and could be that you have an electrical leak somewhere in the car.

Start by Giving the battery a full charge while not connected to the vehicle(at least overnight on the charger) let it sit for a day(still not connected to the vehicle and test the voltage it should still be roughly the same as what it was after you charged it. If not its likely toast, you can take it to CTC and they will test it for you.

If the battery if fine, test the alternator. The easy way is to start the car and while its running disconnect the battery, if the car stays running the alternator is likely fine, if it shuts off when you disconnect the battery your alternator is likely toast, take it off and take to CTC to have it bench tested

If the battery holds a charge and the alternator apears to be working, your in for a long haul to find out the problem, check the glove box, doors, turnks, radio cig lighter to see where the draw is coming from.

As for how long a battery will last, I have had a battery sit for a year and still start a car. but yah if your going to let it sit for a long time I would disconnect it. You could always get one of those trcikle charger solar panel things and leave it connected to your cig lighter.

Edited by jedimaster

Either the battery is shot & won't hold a charge or something is draining the charge out. My guess by your description is that the battery is gone. The voltage regulator could also be the cause.

One question is how old is the battery?

You can either have the battery tested at a shop or try to test it your self. On top of your charger all you need is a volt meter.

First check the voltage of the battery as it sits. Should be in the high 12 volts to low 13's. If not it's low.

Next charge the battery enough to start the vehicle and start the vehicle. Now check the voltage with the vehicle running. With the vehicle running & charging the battery you should get a reading in the mid to high 13's to 14. If it is much higher than 14 or lower than the 13's when charging the voltage regulator is not working properly.(Note: nowadays most if not all voltage regulators are internal in the alternator)

If everything is fine so far let the vehicle run until the battery is charged.

Next shutdown the vehicle & disconnect the battery. Let set for 1/2 - 1 hour & check battery voltage. Should be in the high 12's.

Let set for a day or 2 & check battery voltage again. Should be close to your reading you got when you checked it after letting it set for 1/2 - 1 hour. If after the first check after 1/2 - 1 hour of setting it never got to the high 12's (and voltage regulator was working properly) or the charge had dropped more than slightly ( on the check after a day or 2) the battery is not holding the charge.

If all is still fine and the battery is still holding the charge reconnect the battery & let it set for a day. If the voltage has now dropped significantly than some thing is draining the battery in the vehicle. This at times can be hard to trace down.

Good Luck: Rick

PS: Never just replace the battery without testing the system. A bad voltage regulator putting out too much voltage will quickly fry a new battery & if it is not putting out enough power a new battery will be of little help either. Same applies to something in the vehicle draining the battery where a new battery will be little help.

Edited by Woodsman

Some good advise has been given so far.

A shut off vehicle uses energy from the battery.

Clocks, computers and normal battery discharge will drain a battery in a month.

A car battery is not designed to be drawn down in charge, each time it happens it takes life out.

Also an alternator is not designed to charge a dead battery, it is designed only to maintain a state of charge.

You can damage the alternator due to overheating it.

Always charge a dead battery with a charger.

Also check the drive belt to make sure it isn't slipping as a hard working alternator takes a lot of energy to turn.

With the vehicle shut off, doors closed, all accessories off and at rest for 20 minutes the drain on the battery should not be more than 25 to 35 milliamps.

I also suspect it is the battery itself that is faulty but some quick tests could prove that wrong.

NEVER disconnect a battery when a vehicle is running.

Edited by Bernie

I don't drive my truck for sometimes weeks at a time. Never had a problem starting until just this spring when it needed a new battery. Considering it's a 2001 and it was still the original battery, I can't complain. If your battery is more than 5 or 6 years old, it's probably due.

Thanks for the replies. The battery is not that old, but I'll have it checked.

The alternator is two years old and the starter is also new.

Has Bernie suggested I have clocks running, a screen that indicates unlocked doors low coolent etc, etc, also a dash light which is always on for the alarm system.

So it may be a drain problem. I'll charge it and when not in use I'll disconect it.

Thanks again

A

I would suspect that it might be the battery, and quite possibly an issue with current being drawn off the battery slowly. I have had issues before with batteries and alternators, I would say that if you had it idling for half an hour with no issues, your alternator should be ok.

Charge the battery and take it to ctc so that they can load test it, sometimes a battery can hold 12.7 volts, but under load it cant do the job, so using their diagnostic machine would be your best bet.

Oh,and be very very careful if you are going to try and check the fluid level in your battery, if it is a non-serviceable battery dont touch it! and if you can service it, beware of sulphuric acid, dont get it on anything that you want to keep.

Good luck

[quote name='Bernie' date='01 September 2010 - 06:10 PM'

NEVER disconnect a battery when a vehicle is running.

This was something we could get away with in the 60's and 70's and sometime beyond - but with the advent ECM, fuel injection, etc, etc, this is no longer possible.

Trickle charge the battery over night, remove the surface charge then bring it to a ctc or parts source for a load test(its free), also check the alternator output,should be 13.5v to 14.5v,Any higher or lower,Alternator is shot.

Another thing I came across a while back,new battery dying in a new vehicle.A lady checking her doo and make up and forgeting to close the lid on the visor mirror!

Or a starter positve cable is rubbing on the frame or engine(seen that a million times)!