Baitcast reel opinions please

cynmar

Alright, I've waded through a lot of info and got some views and I've narrowed my search down for a new reel. Can I get your opinions please and try not to be Shimano biased.

1. Shimano Caenan good ratings seems like it is better made and is better value than the Citica

2. Quantum Van Dam PT Baitcast good ratings , more bearings, like the external adjustment

3. Abu Garcia Revo SX good ratings 10 bearings, great reviews

4. Daiwa Tierra good ratings, already familiar with the Mag force system good reviews.

I realize that there is a difference in price point here with the Caenan being the least expensive but I believe they are all around the 100,-175. dollar range. Thanks everyone. Suggestions are appreciated. This reel is for all around use from jigging to casting for bass on weed edges, to incidental pike fishing , walleye etc.

All the reels you mentioned are okay, but ask yourself who fixes them? Will there be parts in two or three years? The world is full of Orphan Reels that were made by third party companies, or are of brands that have no Canadian representation. Many are now only good for paper weights because there are no parts available, or shipping them to the States for service would cost more than they are truly worth.

I like Shimano reels because their service is outstanding and their Canadian office is in Peterborough.

I read that the new Citica E is built in Japan, using the same dies as the latest Curado. This newest model of the popular and well regarded Citica is supposed to have all the features of the Curado, at a lower price.

The Caenan is a bit cheaper, but for the small amount of extra money, I would take the Citica.

I've had plenty of Shimanos, from Callistos to Curados to Calcuttas.

They were all the best reels for the money, by far. Citica, a classic. Trust me, with today's ever changing market and big box companies taking over all the small guys, for one model of reel to survive the test of time for almost 20 years says something. Get a Citica or a Curado. The most reliable reels on the market.

Guest LivingLegend

I myself am looking at baitcaster reels and that new Caenan will do just fine on my new shimano cumulus rod, all other reels u mentioned are good but for $89.99 ya cant go wrong........Gonna get it soon, best the luck to ya!

i purchased a calisto as an entry level bait caster. used it unti i was comfortable wit the transition from spinning to baitcaster. got a citica recently and it is a fantastic reel. smooth, and just chunky enough to fill my big hands. i'm casting like a pro now. the vbs system is easy to use. set it,forget it.

got the D for me and the more compact E for the wife.

Thanks to everybody for their opinions. I have decided that the next reel is going to be the Citica 200E. Looks like it is on at Bass Pro for 119.99. Seems to be the overwhelming favourite for the range and I can't afford a Chronarch or something along those lines. Thanks again.

Bill

Edited by fishingBill

Thanks to everybody for their opinions. I have decided that the next reel is going to be the Citica 200E. Looks like it is on at Bass Pro for 119.99. Seems to be the overwhelming favourite for the range and I can't afford a Chronarch or something along those lines. Thanks again.

Bill

excellent choice clapping.gif

I have question, if i were left handed on the spinning reel is it best that i stick with a left handed baitcaster reel?

depends how adept you are with your right hand. i learned with a left hand retrieve spinner, but i am comfortable using a rh retrieve baitcaster. i am a right handed person, so the baitcaster leaves my rh free for other thingsmellow.gif .now im confused......tease.gif

Guest LivingLegend

depends how adept you are with your right hand. i learned with a left hand retrieve spinner, but i am comfortable using a rh retrieve baitcaster. i am a right handed person, so the baitcaster leaves my rh free for other thingsmellow.gif .now im confused......tease.gif

Hmmm, well i guess I will check it out in stores and see how it feels......dunno.gif

I'd go with Shimano no matter what price point you choose. I bought a Citica at the start of this season and its been working really well. I have multiple Cruxis' ($120 when I bought them) and their all still holding up really well, no issues. The Citica does have less plastic parts and cast's a little bit better, but it was $160. I bought the Cruxis's about 3 years ago when people told me I should spend a little bit more money on the Citica but I chose the Cruxis. I don't have any experience with the Caenan but looks really similar to the cruxis's I Like. Something about a baitcast reel under $100 makes me little skeptical.....which is what people felt about the cruxis's that have worked well for me....either way I'd get a Shimano.

-Ben

I got a chance to try out the Caenan last week, and I was not very impressed. The bearings aren't as smooth as I'd like from Shimano, and I am not fond of the CI4 handles. I am a huge shimano fan, but the Caenan is not my cup of tea. If your gonna go Shimano, Curado is the cheapest I'd go. The other reels on your list will be a better buy. In my opinion, the Revo SX is your best choice of the group.

Guest LivingLegend

I got a chance to try out the Caenan last week, and I was not very impressed. The bearings aren't as smooth as I'd like from Shimano, and I am not fond of the CI4 handles. I am a huge shimano fan, but the Caenan is not my cup of tea. If your gonna go Shimano, Curado is the cheapest I'd go. The other reels on your list will be a better buy. In my opinion, the Revo SX is your best choice of the group.

Good to hear my friend, thanx for the heads up on the Caenan. Gonna look into the Calais and Citica models, would love to hook up the core100mg but pretty pricy. Did you take the Caenan back?

Dont mean to still ur thread fishingBill but we are in the same boat and didnt want to start a new topic again...good.gif