Six mile lake PP

Bass Tard

Hey all! So the other day my girlfriend asked me if I wanted to go camping at six mile PP for the long weekend, of course the answer was yes, I didn't even need to know anything about the lake. I just love getting the eff out of the city!

I did some searching on here, Google didn't really give me any decent results. Seems like Smallmouth and Pike are what we're going to be catching and I'm super cool with that. I love catching smallies on my ultra light!

Few questions though:

[*] Is there bears in the park? Like, do we have to be careful with what we do with our food or anything like that? I figured I would just keep it in the 4runner to be safe, but curious if it might be a problem!?

[*] Whats the camp grounds like? The lake I assume will be really busy?!

[*] Whats the lake like? Am I going to be super careful not to hit rocks, or are they well marked? Staying in the middle I should be fine?

[*] Is there some place we can get coffees/beer somewhere close, or should I make sure I have that stuff with me?

Anything else about the lake or camp would be great to know. If you've been there I'd love to hear what you thought of it. Pictures of fishes or camps would be awesome too. Let's hear what you've got OFC!

Thanks

Ken

There's a liquor store (trailer full of booze) in port severn. Take Exit 153. Not sure if you're allowed to drink in the park on a long weekend though. You may want to look into that. Bala is only about 30 minutes north of there, if you’re looking for a little northern night life..

I've never stayed in the park before. Bang on with the Bass and Pike assessment. I find a Mepps spinners trolled works best for Pike in that lake. I've tried lots of lures for pike, the mepps always seems to out fish them all for me..

The rocks are pretty well marked if you stay in the middle. There are some stumps and rocks close to shore that can beat you up a little. Especially in crocked bay, up in the northeast end of the lake.

Good luck, and may sure you post some pics eh!

nice park,some of the sites are close to the road so you will hear traffic all night from 69. The lake is busy lots boats and jet skis. Yes there is good smallie and pike fishing but the lake also has walleyes,musky and lake trout and my wife caught a 12 lb channel cat in there one night.Fishing without a boat is limited to park shorelines and the docks.You can rent canoes and kayaks right in the park and boats from marina around the corner.Lots of weedbeds in the main lake around the islands,try fishing them in the 8-12 fow ,spinnerbaits,rapalas j-7,f-7s work well,I also had some good luck with live minnows for pike. Good luck.

The bears are around, but really unlikely you'll be bothered unless you leave your bacon and eggs pan on the fire pit and left overs on the picnic table. For what its worth I always ensure my food is stored properly as the raccoons are more bothersome in my opinion. As with regards to the Booze ban..its purpose is to keep the spring and summers end teenage bush parties from getting out of hand. I have always brought beer or mixed beverages with me ban or not. Just make sure you don't make any unnecessary noise, keep a respectable and tidy camp(cans and alcohol containers put away or disposed of properly), a small and controlled camp fire and very unlikely you'll be bothered.

Good responses so far, thanks for the help guys!

We already asked about the booze, and they said it was fine there for the weekened. We generally go camping on the long weeekends because its cheaper than renting a cottage for only a few sleeps, so we're used to keeping our boozing reltativley low key. :) As much as I like to fish all day and all night, we both have fun when we unwind at night and have some laughs.

How do I make sure no bears come in to camp? Is keeping all foods/garbage in the 4runner good enough? I've been up north lots and in Petawawa was the only place I ever really seen bears, but normally I'm in a cottage and don't think about winding up a canvas hot-dog in my tent.

Mostly looking to catch smallies, I think I'll be fishing a lot of grubs/jigs on rock piles and drop offs. When I get into some weeds it will probably be a spinner bait and a texas rigged worm.

I'm glad there's not a lot to run into, its always a scary factor when you get on a new lake and you want to open the boat up but have to stay cautious the whole time.

Maybe we'll check out bala?! Too bad there's only two of us, that means someone has to be the sucker and a DD. Is there taxis out there? :P

Thanks guys, I'll get pictures and share!

Good responses so far, thanks for the help guys!

We already asked about the booze, and they said it was fine there for the weekened. We generally go camping on the long weeekends because its cheaper than renting a cottage for only a few sleeps, so we're used to keeping our boozing reltativley low key. :) As much as I like to fish all day and all night, we both have fun when we unwind at night and have some laughs.

How do I make sure no bears come in to camp? Is keeping all foods/garbage in the 4runner good enough? I've been up north lots and in Petawawa was the only place I ever really seen bears, but normally I'm in a cottage and don't think about winding up a canvas hot-dog in my tent.

Mostly looking to catch smallies, I think I'll be fishing a lot of grubs/jigs on rock piles and drop offs. When I get into some weeds it will probably be a spinner bait and a texas rigged worm.

I'm glad there's not a lot to run into, its always a scary factor when you get on a new lake and you want to open the boat up but have to stay cautious the whole time.

Maybe we'll check out bala?! Too bad there's only two of us, that means someone has to be the sucker and a DD. Is there taxis out there? :P

Thanks guys, I'll get pictures and share!

Don't bring any food into the tent. If your clothes have food (or fish slime) on them don't bring them in there either.

Keep your food locked up, and your cookingware and plates cleaned (ie.dirty dishes left overnight may cause a problem).

Like others have said, racoons are more of a nuisance. They're smart as well (have figured out how to open just about every cooler).

Have fun!

Don't bring any food into the tent. If your clothes have food (or fish slime) on them don't bring them in there either.

Keep your food locked up, and your cookingware and plates cleaned (ie.dirty dishes left overnight may cause a problem).

Like others have said, racoons are more of a nuisance. They're smart as well (have figured out how to open just about every cooler).

Have fun!

That park is full of grizzlies and cougars... i think there are rabid wolves running amok.

Don't worry about the bears.

Cougars and wolves?! Pffftt.. Not scared. Bears?! Scary!

C'mon long weekend, I want to catch some smallies!

Oh, does any one know anything about wood? Do I have to buy it there in their park, or can I bring my own?

Cougars.... :D

It depends if you still live outside the new quarantine boundaries. If not, the fine was $400

hi there, we will be there too... campsite 112

We have only caught small and large mouth, the occaitional pike and a big brown catfish... and of course the little guys, rock bass and sunfish... pound and a half sun fish are great battered and fried in butter, mmmmm

we follow the lake right around to the top end at crooked bay and have had some luck there. When all else fails, it is a great place to swim... very nice water.

I have been told that there are walleye in there too, but in all the years we have been going there, never caught or even seen one caught there.

Good luck, stop by and say hi if you want

Darlene and hubby Brian

PS there are often bears there, ministy will post sightings and you have to keep food safely tucked away, in vehicle is best.

Firewood can be bought there and the store has most anything you may need in case you forget something... of course not cheep, but handy. There are great public showers and the staff there are really great. We go every year at least once and several times just to fish as we live within an hour of the park

Edited by Dar

Thanks Dar, we might very well swing by and say hi. Maybe get some tips about your secret spots. :P

Darn though, the bears thing I'm not sure if I'm super excited about. I might leave all the food outside the truck and sleep inside of it. :)

Hurry up weekend!!!

Darn though, the bears thing I'm not sure if I'm super excited about. I might leave all the food outside the truck and sleep inside of it. :)

Don't worry about the bears man. My family has had a cottage up there for nearly 80 years, and they've only see a hand full of bears.. The park sounds like a safe place. I camp on the lake a few times each summer, and the coons are there every night.. But no bears for me yet.

Don't worry about the bears man. My family has had a cottage up there for nearly 80 years, and they've only see a hand full of bears.. The park sounds like a safe place. I camp on the lake a few times each summer, and the coons are there every night.. But no bears for me yet.

That's because the bears are all after the easy pickins at the campground.

Hey BooBoo! Lets go steal a picnic basket before the ranger catches us :canadian:

:blink:As others have mentioned, Camp Bear Smart!

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that rattlesnakes are numerous in this area.

I stayed at a buddies cottage on Six mile last September. In 2 1/2 days I saw 3 rattlers. :blink: Keep your eyes open and watch your pets if you're taking any!

Cool cool, thanks for those images Dar! My campsite will be right were the huge bear is. :o

How long of a boat ride is it to crooked bay, and in what kind of boat? I'm wondering if I'll be able to fish the whole lake?! I won't be fishing your spot, my goal will mostly be concentrating on islands and drop-offs to get some smallies, I can go to long point and get largemouth and pike at any time.

And not so afraid of rattle snakes, but I will keep an eye out. Do bears smell empty beer bottles? Damn Yogi, why doesn't he just leave people alone and catch carp? No one cares about carp! :P

Cool cool, thanks for those images Dar! My campsite will be right were the huge bear is. :o

How long of a boat ride is it to crooked bay, and in what kind of boat? I'm wondering if I'll be able to fish the whole lake?! I won't be fishing your spot, my goal will mostly be concentrating on islands and drop-offs to get some smallies, I can go to long point and get largemouth and pike at any time.

And not so afraid of rattle snakes, but I will keep an eye out. Do bears smell empty beer bottles? Damn Yogi, why doesn't he just leave people alone and catch carp? No one cares about carp! :P

Crooked Bay is at the opposite end of the lake from the park. Easily a good 1/2 hour run for 2 people with a 10hp. If you run from the park to the main lake, go right towards Hungry Bay. There is a sreies of islands and channels with good ledges and breaks to work.

2 weeks of hard fishing every day might get you to where you've fished a good portion of the lake. There is a lot of productive water starting right at the camp's doorstep.

Edited by bigugli

Thanks man, from my searches for 6 mile, you were the guy to post on it the most. I'll keep those spots in mind. Its good that the lake will be easy to shoot across, I've got a 50hp on a Basstracker so we'll get there in good time. :)

I'm going to have to pick up a map of this place and check it out before I go.

Thanks man, from my searches for 6 mile, you were the guy to post on it the most. I'll keep those spots in mind. Its good that the lake will be easy to shoot across, I've got a 50hp on a Basstracker so we'll get there in good time. :)

I'm going to have to pick up a map of this place and check it out before I go.

I grew up there, fishing every rock and stump with my cousins.

If you go out to Hungry bay, scoot across the bay mouth to an opening in the rocks. The place is called pretty channel. You can tie off on the shore and walk up past the falls, or run an electric up into the needle. Used to be one of those hidden gems, but it's been 5 years since I was last there, and I never go on a weekend.