Calling the MNR Tips Line

BillsTheBassMan

Hello Folks,

Well, I placed a call to the MNR tips line for the first time today after witnessing about a half-dozen violations on a local watershed recently including what appears to be a major violation. It appears to be a positive experience and the gentleman I spoke with said that they'd be sending some CO's to check out these violations for sure. That was reassuring, let's hope it happens.

I'm just polling the community here to see how many of you actively call the MNR tips line and whether or not you have noticed if it has had an effect or not. I'm assuming the more calls that are placed about a specific area result in more attention being given to that specific area.

So, what, if any, has your experience been with calling 1-877-TIPS-MNR?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i used it once to report an ice fishing violation. they took my info and it took 2 days for an actual CO to get back to me. by this point there was no violation or evidence left to go after the guys.

I used it,for persons keeping over the limit of Bass,it worked as 3 persons were caught and it has also lead to a pretty steady patrol of the area.I know some people think it's a waste of time but it really does help, in fact since the tips line has been established here in Niagara it has lead to more enforcement in the area.

I have called it a couple or three times. Never have seen anyone come, and they have never got back to me or contacted me for further information.

Even though I have not physically seen any response, I will still call when I witness a violation. Nothing will ever be done if you don't let somebody know....

Burt :)

called about some oos bass fishers last year,(with large spinnerbaits and 7" senkos from what I had observed) within an hour the co had called me back and reported what had gone on, he met the guys coming off the water, the guys were fishing for "crappie" they hadn't gotten any and he didn't observe them catching any bass. I have fished that water for a good number of years and have only ever caught 1 crappie, but at least I felt good about making the call

jjcanoe

Hello Folks,

Well, I placed a call to the MNR tips line for the first time today after witnessing about a half-dozen violations on a local watershed recently including what appears to be a major violation. It appears to be a positive experience and the gentleman I spoke with said that they'd be sending some CO's to check out these violations for sure. That was reassuring, let's hope it happens.

I'm just polling the community here to see how many of you actively call the MNR tips line and whether or not you have noticed if it has had an effect or not. I'm assuming the more calls that are placed about a specific area result in more attention being given to that specific area.

So, what, if any, has your experience been with calling 1-877-TIPS-MNR?

what were these violations exactly?

ive never called it, and i probably wouldnt ever call it unless i see a major violation. in other words i wouldnt call for silly things like people using barbs in barbless areas or people catching OOS fish a day or 2 shy of the opener. to me that is just to nazi.

it may be against a law,but so is jay walking and i wouldnt harrass cops with that crap either.

what were these violations exactly?

ive never called it, and i probably wouldnt ever call it unless i see a major violation. in other words i wouldnt call for silly things like people using barbs in barbless areas or people catching OOS fish a day or 2 shy of the opener. to me that is just to nazi.

it may be against a law,but so is jay walking and i wouldnt harrass cops with that crap either.

I've witnessed 4-5 violations from the same group of people on 4-5 different occasions. I certainly wasn't hasty in calling the MNR. These donkeys have deforested a good stretch of the Grand River and are starting to put a paved parking lot right beside the river. They've also set up rod holders and firepits to burn the wood they cut down. I think deforestation on the the GR floodplain is a relatively major concern, particularly if they don't have permits to do so. Also, there were several "anglers" using multiple rods on multiple occasions and naturally keeping everything they catch. I suspect that if their licenses get checked that they'll be "misplaced" at the time.

EDIT - If I saw people fishing live bait in a C&R area I would most certainly call the tips line. Barbed hooks probably not, but I might pleasantly inform them of the rules and show them how to clip their barbs.

Edited by BillsTheBassMan

If that is the case call the GRCA, Min. of Environment, and local MNR directly. I would think that the multiple lines is the least of their concern. Section 34 of the Fisheries Act (..I think its this one) is a powerful tool to protect fish habitat which is very encompassing.

I would suspect the above parties would be interested in photos, or perhaps they issue the appropriate permits....?

If that is the case call the GRCA, Min. of Environment, and local MNR directly. I would think that the multiple lines is the least of their concern. Section 34 of the Fisheries Act (..I think its this one) is a powerful tool to protect fish habitat which is very encompassing.

I would suspect the above parties would be interested in photos, or perhaps they issue the appropriate permits....?

I have photos. I'll call the GRCA. As soon as I saw this violation I knew it was a bigger deal than your standard fishing violation. I'm sure it will be looked into.

I have never called it as I have never thought I needed to. I think the worse thing I have witnessed is people obviously fishing for OOS bass. How can anyone really prove that though?

I think anything we can do to help out the fisheries is a good idea. However, on the flip side I think it's a resource that has to be used wisely else it will just become useless.