To buy or Not to buy

LucG

Here's the deal...

I've been wanting a bow mount motor all summer, but just never had enough cash to get what I wanted.

I recently found one for sale, but am unsure if I should buy a used one or if I should just wait until I can afford to do it right.

Its a Minn Kota 50 lb thrust with a 45" shaft, 12 volt. and apparently in great working condition.

I can pick it up for $125

Here are some pics...

Anyone know how old this is? What should I do?

3902ib420.jpg

53517gl20.jpg

391732720.jpg

3003m0820.jpg

Edited by LucG

If you are going used stick to a cable steer version. The older Electric steer ones are a headache. The only way to find out is to buy it. If you can wait and save up a bit get a newer used one thats cable steer. Those pedals are awkward to use, and they the circuit board is prone to having sticking issues when they get older.

Early to mid 1990's vintage by the looks of it.

Take down the model and serial number call this #, 800-227-6433 and ask them the year.

I did that when I got this one earlier this summer. They were very helpful. The fellow there even emailed me a PDF of the user manual. :good::good:

MinnKota1.jpg

MinnKota2.jpg

MinnKota3.jpg

Luc, be very careful with this one. And, for your information.....

The way Minn Kota works their serial numbers is like this:

For early motors (there's still lots out there that are running):

'A' Series was early to mid 1970s

'B' Series was mid to late 1970s

'C' Series was late 1970s to early 1980s

'D' and 'E' Series was early 1980s

'W' Series was 1983 to 1985

"M" Series by serial number:

1000-200000 was 1985-1986

260000-520000 was 1986-1987

520000-784000 was 1987-1988

784000-1049000 was 1988-1989

1049000-1514855 was 1989-1990

1314856-1578000 was 1990-1991

1578001 and on was 1991-1992

From 1993 and on:

MK000000A 1993

MKJE 1994

MKJF 1995

MKJG 1996

and so on until 2000 which is MKAA, MKAB is 2001. The first 4 letters designate the product (Minn Kota in this case) and the second 2 are the year.

The last numbers are the actual serial numbers.

Hope this helps someone.......the info was shamelessly pilfered via a Google search. :thumbsup_anim:

I had this dilemma a month or so ago, I want a bow mount, but I cant afford a new one.

I looked into it and found a few half decent looking ones, but I was a little leery of buying used, because obviously the owner will tell you that it was barely used regardless of the condition, its just like used cars, it is surprising how many used cars were driven only on sundays by old grandmothers!

In the end I ended up buying a brand new transom mount minn kota for the same price as the used bow mounts that I was looking at, having said that, I sort of wish that I had bit the bullet and went for the bow mount, it is a pain in the ass trying to control the boat and fish at the same time! However I do kind of like the peace of mind of having 2 years of warranty and knowing that it hasnt been thrashed in past years.

I know that this likely isnt much help to you, as you are looking for advice, but I would say, if you can verify that it all works, and if you can get the seller to go for 100 bucks, I would try it out, 100 bucks isnt alot of money, even if it only lasts you a couple of seasons.

Have you got a verdict yet, Luc?

Well Roy...I think I might just wait. I fish in a local bass club and angler of the year usually wins a new electric bow mount.

Since I'm a few 1st place finishes away from that, I'll offer to buy his old one, or the new one if its of lesser quality then he already has.

I just don't want to waste $125 that could be going toward a brand new cable steer.

Thanks guys... :)

Any fisherman can tell ya Luc that there trolling motors get abused more than anything else on their boats. Especially if the individual fishes hard. That is just the nature of the beast. And the hours put on them are huge compared to your main motor. Be very cautious buying old used trolling motors cause probably the head and midshaft bearings are probably pooched and that's just a start. Whe I fished a dozen or more bass tourney's a year I used to carry a spare one in my boat because nothing worse than electric motor issues when your fishing for money.

That's probably the best you can do for a $125 bow mount. I've purchased 2 used minn kota power drives. Both worked but eventually died. Couldn't even scrounge up 1 working system out of 2 duds...

When you do get your motor, new or used, make sure you store it indoors when not in use. It will last a lot longer. Like all electronic equipment, they do not like moisture. And once the guts (servo motors and circuit boards) get wet, its gonna need service to get it going again.