surprised no one said a thing

mercman

O.K. Canadadude you win all of the rod builder on the forum are wrong and use only junk to build on. Thanks Cris for all of the rods you have made that have excellent craftmanship but are made with substandard blanks. I wish I had not been hucklebucked out of all of my hard earned money with you laughing all the way to the bank. Time for me to send them to goodwill and go out and buy the superior machine made rods.....

Do you hear how wrong you are yet Canadadude or shall I continue????

Art

lol....another awesome thread, grown men, stubborn prides/ego/"my opinion is always best" and way too much time on our hands....reminds me of that time in jr kindergarten when buddy said his gummy bears were better than my teenage mutant ninja turtle gummies....ha

pretty sure buddy didn't attack spiel's workmanship anywhere throughout his posts...did i miss that somewhere?

just because spiel makes great rods(and I'm sure you very well do) doesn't mean that NRX or any other high end rods are crap....sure you can customize all the crap you like, pick some nice pretty looking thread, etc......but IMO, at the end of the day the blank is still the most important part, the technology is mostly in the blank...."mostly" but not all...I get the fact that a custom rod builder can assure you of his attention to detail, quality craftsmanship, etc.....but I think my SC and Loomis is on par or better than some rod builders who claim their work is great, and a lot of anglers would agree with that

very clear spiel has a loyal following on this forum and well deserved I'm sure....but it sounds to me like spiel is a bit bitter that he can't build on an NRX blank???

i mean if all you can criticize a rod for is some ugly thread...that's only cosmetic and not a biggie in my books

seeing how it's a newly released blank, if the blank does eventually become available to custom builders and spiel builds one up and likes it, it'll be interesting to see how quick all of the followers change their opinions just as quick

didn't the NRX win best in show at icast....to call it a crap rod because of "ugly" thread is pretty ridiculous guys.....

the rods that actually won E21 that award at icast never made it to production....shortly after duckett removed himself from the company because the rods he was fishing were not the same rods available to the public

I wouldn't compare E21 to the reputation that Loomis carries...

lol....another awesome thread, grown men, stubborn prides/ego/"my opinion is always best" and way too much time on our hands....reminds me of that time in jr kindergarten when buddy said his gummy bears were better than my teenage mutant ninja turtle gummies....ha

pretty sure buddy didn't attack spiel's workmanship anywhere throughout his posts...did i miss that somewhere?

just because spiel makes great rods(and I'm sure you very well do) doesn't mean that NRX or any other high end rods are crap....sure you can customize all the crap you like, pick some nice pretty looking thread, etc......but IMO, at the end of the day the blank is still the most important part, the technology is mostly in the blank...."mostly" but not all...I get the fact that a custom rod builder can assure you of his attention to detail, quality craftsmanship, etc.....but I think my SC and Loomis is on par or better than some rod builders who claim their work is great, and a lot of anglers would agree with that

very clear spiel has a loyal following on this forum and well deserved I'm sure....but it sounds to me like spiel is a bit bitter that he can't build on an NRX blank???

i mean if all you can criticize a rod for is some ugly thread...that's only cosmetic and not a biggie in my books

seeing how it's a newly released blank, if the blank does eventually become available to custom builders and spiel builds one up and likes it, it'll be interesting to see how quick all of the followers change their opinions just as quick

didn't the NRX win best in show at icast....to call it a crap rod because of "ugly" thread is pretty ridiculous guys.....

Bare Foot Wader

It is not the rod blank that I question it is the statement that a factory made rod is a better rod than a custom made rod. At no point did I see someone call the NRX blank crap in fact it was said lets see how it holds up and at this point no one does with a new blank. It is not that the thread work is ugly it is done by a machine that does not care if it is was a good job of wet bedding before it is wrapped. It is the fact that for them to make a profit on the rod at $500.oo then their is not time to let solvents dry before you move to the next step. A $500.oo rod minus the overhead and warrentees from breakage that really was not from material defects and the "free" custom cover all leaves you with a $150.oo to $200.00 price for the blank. When the blank is released if it is the best blank for the situation then sure Chris will be building one for me the point is the blank is not such a quantum leap in the material world that makes custom rods a thing of the past. A custom rod is more than pretty thread it is the attention to detail and job specific that is the reason to have a custom rod created.

I am by far an elitist in my equipment if you look at my Catfishing rigs you will find they are fiberglass composite rods (old school)with Tica reels because a 30-50 lb fish that you are dead baiting needs very little sensitivity but need a long shoulder to handle the monsters from the deep.My reply's are not to argue about the quality of Chris's work I already know his talent I have seen his shop and fished the end results he no longer has to sell me I am a follower of talent.

I hope that Loomis makes lots of sales on the rod but if you are in the market to drop that much money you are at a point were you can afford a custom rod that is built for YOU and not a fits all solution. So ask yourself what looks/fits better an off the rack suit or one that is tailored to fit you? Which one do you buy if they are comparably priced? In closing if we were talking gummi bears to gummi worms (Same material different shape) then your analogy would be correct but we are actually talking about craftsmanship versus machine made. We are comparing a profit driven company to pride in workmanship their is no comparison not just in rods but all aspects in life.

Art

Loomis does not offer any more blanks. Everyone will tell you their rods are better then others without any proof. Granted these new NRX rods are yet to be fully tested by the public but keep in mind that Loomis field tests rods for a while with a ton of research. Still hand made US blanks. Complete seperate entinity from Shimano. I have a ton of Custom rods that I have had done from Shakedown rods, George Roth and Matt from Matt Lures. Not to mention a couple of custom builds I have done my self. Custom built rods are awesome with that something feel about them but what happens when they break. You get screwed and you are out of a rod. That $400 rod now becomes a Tomato plant prop. Reason why I went to higher end rods. I wanted that custom feel with a full warranty. When a custom breaks the builder may warranty the blank but not the work they have to do to it again. I'm not wrong there. I have 123 rods in my collection right now and have used just about every one from JDM or USDM and have found Loomis to be the only one with a true science behind the blank. And yes they are all G Loomis rods. Do I need the latest and greatest rods, Maybe not but I'm in a position where I firmly beleive thet the latest in the technology helps in certian situations in the feel of some bites.

St Croix and Shimano make amazing rods as well. I have become acustomed to Loomis and dont use anything else. Am I saying go out and buy one. No, Im stating actuall facts on all their rods. I still have 11 blanks from Loomis when they were being sold off thT I will build myself over the next couple of years. Everyone claims that they have developed the blanks from some new science. Lets face it. Most are a marketing scheme. Every year, just like Roy stated there will be a new and better rod. Thats just a fact of life. Do I love my new NRX and My GLX rods. Dam right I do and that wont change at all. The new NRX ugly blue as some stated will grow on most. I think they look awesome and adds a custom type look to the blank. This new price hike is good and sorry but if a rod does not break in the first year of use then its not manufactuer fault. Its about time companies stop and clarify the Warranty issues. Limited lifetime is simply what it states.

Thats why I like rod covers fr high end or even low end rods. Anyone here can attest to the shape of all my rods when I sell them. Handle protectors, rod Gloves etc. After all you would not ride a bike without a helmet. :w00t: I protect my investment always no matter what. To hard to make the money so I would rather not go through the hassle of trying to get a new one.

JUst to put my money where my mouth is. I will invite anyone out from the board when I get free time from Tourney fishing and show you why I think the G Loomis rods are what they are. I will have free time in mid fall so anyone who wants and is willing I will show you why. I can place the GL2-GL3,Mossy back, GLX and the NRX rods of the same model and you be the judge.

I have several Loomis rods and I have to admit, they are my favorite. I own a few IMX's, and a few GL3's. I do prefer them to my St. Croix Avid, but it is still a great rod and arguably more bang for you buck. the Loomis GL3's/IMX handle/cast better but they are $100 more.

what I really like about Loomis is their tapers. The SJR782 is the best best spinning rod I have ever used. I prefer the GL3 version because I much prefer the handle style over the IMX version (which I also own).

and some of their tapers are quite unique. for instance, there is no comparable St. Croix taper to the SJR700 GL3 Mag Light ex-fast spinning rod. it has a very light tip but a strong butt section. its like a hybrid rod -bottom half is a jig rod with some power, top half is like an UL rod. its such a cool little rod.

I can't wait to see what future tapers are available with the NRX graphite. even though they are pricey, maybe one day I will have to own one.. :)

Loomis does not offer any more blanks. Everyone will tell you their rods are better then others without any proof. Granted these new NRX rods are yet to be fully tested by the public but keep in mind that Loomis field tests rods for a while with a ton of research. Still hand made US blanks. Complete seperate entinity from Shimano. I have a ton of Custom rods that I have had done from Shakedown rods, George Roth and Matt from Matt Lures. Not to mention a couple of custom builds I have done my self. Custom built rods are awesome with that something feel about them but what happens when they break. You get screwed and you are out of a rod. That $400 rod now becomes a Tomato plant prop. Reason why I went to higher end rods. I wanted that custom feel with a full warranty. When a custom breaks the builder may warranty the blank but not the work they have to do to it again. I'm not wrong there. I have 123 rods in my collection right now and have used just about every one from JDM or USDM and have found Loomis to be the only one with a true science behind the blank. And yes they are all G Loomis rods. Do I need the latest and greatest rods, Maybe not but I'm in a position where I firmly beleive thet the latest in the technology helps in certian situations in the feel of some bites.

St Croix and Shimano make amazing rods as well. I have become acustomed to Loomis and dont use anything else. Am I saying go out and buy one. No, Im stating actuall facts on all their rods. I still have 11 blanks from Loomis when they were being sold off thT I will build myself over the next couple of years. Everyone claims that they have developed the blanks from some new science. Lets face it. Most are a marketing scheme. Every year, just like Roy stated there will be a new and better rod. Thats just a fact of life. Do I love my new NRX and My GLX rods. Dam right I do and that wont change at all. The new NRX ugly blue as some stated will grow on most. I think they look awesome and adds a custom type look to the blank. This new price hike is good and sorry but if a rod does not break in the first year of use then its not manufactuer fault. Its about time companies stop and clarify the Warranty issues. Limited lifetime is simply what it states.

Thats why I like rod covers fr high end or even low end rods. Anyone here can attest to the shape of all my rods when I sell them. Handle protectors, rod Gloves etc. After all you would not ride a bike without a helmet. :w00t: I protect my investment always no matter what. To hard to make the money so I would rather not go through the hassle of trying to get a new one.

JUst to put my money where my mouth is. I will invite anyone out from the board when I get free time from Tourney fishing and show you why I think the G Loomis rods are what they are. I will have free time in mid fall so anyone who wants and is willing I will show you why. I can place the GL2-GL3,Mossy back, GLX and the NRX rods of the same model and you be the judge.

Well said and a very nice offer on your part. I hope that Loomis sells lots of rods to people who do not chose the custom route no matter how you get their a quality rod enhances the fishing experience.

Art

You know how many lures I have in my boxes that people told me that they caught fish on :spam: . I have a friend that golfs, he doesn't fish. He said he never met so many gullible people than a fisherman. I guess I fall in that category :angel: Next week there's a rod that's coming out that guaranties it catches fish for you, GNIMAERD-UOY $2000.00. Warning on the rod Say's don't look at it in the mirror, it voids the warranty. OH I forgot, My dogs bigger than your dog.

Your morning smile Let's go :Gonefishing:

clapping.gif i knew it....boy i knew it !!!

when i started this thread, i said to myself 'Myself, i said !!! you,re gonna learn something now !!!'

and i was right.

1 its not the rod that catches fish, its the fisher,

2 no matter what you spend, there is always something more expensive or more up to date out there.

3 fisherman stand by their prefered tools with fervent pride.

4 the members of OFC are all, and i mean ALL, expert, knowledgeable, fishermen and women who have all the answers.

and mine is always bigger than yours !!!!!whistling.gif

im gonna stick with my fenwick hmg until i get a bit better at this whole fishin thing.

cheers to all of you

paul

If anyone is interested in having a custom Loomis rod built check out North Fork Customs blanks this is Gary and his son's new company and they sell blanks that are very comparible to loomis actions.There not cheap but the quality expected from a Gary Loomis blank I'm sure will be there.