Going Solo again

danbouck

OK, I am sending the wife and kids to Scotland for 11 days in October to visit her Grandparents. Sadly the funds just aren't there for me to go so instead I want to find somewhere within 15 hours from Cambridge to catch an insane amount of fish. Mainly walleye, pike or bass. I want to be able to wake up, cast and catch something.

Where would you go?

Guest natron

Come to Northwestern Ontario, anywhere around Fort Frances, Thunder Bay, Kenora or Dryden. IMO the bass lake fishing in the world. Many of the lakes are also full of numerous trophy fish from many species, like largemouth/smallmouth bass, crappie, walleye, musky and pike. Some lakes in these areas will also have nice trout as well.

Are you bringing up a boat like a Sportspal or a canoe?

Hardcore canoe version (to keep Solo from thinking you're slacking off) the Shumka Loop from Missanabie to......Missanabie. Take the train or a shuttle and canoe through a dozen lakes (with 27 questionable portages) to Little Missinaibi Lake, Missinaibi Lake back to Missanabie. Including the drive up and back in 11 days is doable but it would be a slog death march some days.

Hardcore Lite version, grab the train at Foleyet to Elsas and paddle the Kapuskasing Lake & Nemegosenda River PP for a week, flag the train back to Foleyet.

But yeah with 11 days including the drive up & back Chapleau would be a good start.

the name eludes me but remember a post about a fly im just outside of sudbury, an awesome walleye lake that was only about 5-6 hours. it was a great post that looked like it should have come from way further up north.

less of a drive but you could invite some local OFC'ers to your cottage for some fall bass and smoked meats....