New Development in the "help me ID this bird" thread

Joey

Okay,so we decided the gray bird was either a juvenile house finch or cowbird, but this just in, and I'm confused in a few ways.

First, here is the bird again, this time at my feeder.

4892371502_8728f47f18_b.jpg

4892369322_9771389c33_b.jpg

Then this happens:

4891767807_4e50c506af_b.jpg

4891769315_b70e3436c2_b.jpg

4892370714_cfebf02b7f_b.jpg

4891770685_89333f5fd7_b.jpg

4892367754_0903cc573e_b.jpg

So, first off, that gray one does not look like any juvenile cardinals that I can find online, and is that not a male cardinal? Doesn't mama cardinal feed the kids?

Anyhow, now I'm even more confused as to what type of bird it is.

Joey

Yes, I did know that Cram, its called parasitic. I just didn't think they raised them to this point. I figured they'd leave as soon as they could fly and then go back to their own kind.

But I guess that is our answer. Cool!!!

Joey

Thanks Alexcba and Roy. Love my new camera :thumbsup_anim:

Okay, upon further reading, I have found the male does feed the young as the female has several broods per year and stays on the eggs while daddy feeds her and the young.

Edited by Joey

That's an immature cowbird, being fed by the cardinal. The adult birds that get parasitised will feed the cowbird young until they are fledged, just like their own young. What's really strange is seeing a small warbler feeding a cowbird that is 1.5x it's size.

Interesting study a few years ago on cowbirds. It seems that the females will revisit nests that they have parasitised. If the host bird had recognized the cowbird egg and gotten rid of it, the cowbird would proceed to destroy the nest. If the egg remained, they would leave the nest, along with any host eggs still intact, intact.

Those are amazing photos!

These photos make identification easier showing the size and more clearly showing the thin upper beak etc... :thumbsup_anim: . That bird is almost size of cardinal not a small finch :dunno:

Cardinals are my favorite birds around here.