One Piece Rod

bigmac1984

The title says it all. I have 5 1-piece rods from a company that will remain nameless because I think that my recent bad luck is just that.

The rod has a warantee in which I have to mail the rod back to the company. The problem is they require $20 for return shipping for the new rod, plus then I have to pay for the freight myself (upwards of $40-$50), and then for piece of mind i'd have to insure the shipping. In total, i'd be looking at $100 to get this rod replaced which is the value of the rod itself.

I'm writing this to see if anyone knows if the rod can be fixed where it broke. There are no eyes damaged, however, the break was splintered about half way up a 7'.

If it can be fixed, would anyone know what the cost would be? would it be worth it to fix? would it reduce any kind of sensitivity or performance in the rod?

If I can fix it cheaper than buying a new one that would be ideal, but for $100 to simply claim the warrantee, I would end up just going and getting another one.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

pics indeed would help

"splintered"????....if it's splintered and cracks running up and down the blank I'd say it's toast...

if it's a clean break they can be fixed but once a blank is broken it will never have the same bend to it again...so it will affect the feel of the rod...whether it's enough to seriously affect the rod won't know until you try it

can you try an exchange where you bought it from?

otherwise sounds like you're best to just buy a new rod....good luck, always sucks to break a fav rod

Guest LivingLegend

By splintered i mean it wasn't a clean break where it broke. There are no cracks or anything beyond where the break is.

I can't exchange it because it was past BPS 30 day warantee policy to exchange in store.

I say scrap it and move on my friend, besides shopping for fish equipment is FUN!w00t.gif .......... but remember, know your limit and spend within it!!!...... I really need to practice what preach.dry.gif

Thanks guys, I think i'll be taking the fun route of shopping for another. I really hope it was just a fluke, because I have 5 others and they have worked well.

Everytime I break a rod, or a friend of mine breaks a rod, we take it in to the store we bought it at. The tackle shop owner generally will send it away for you and keep the costs minimal. This generally is limited to smaller tackle shops - not places like Canadian Tire or Bass Pro (you're probably outta luck if that's where you got it). This is one of the bonuses of dealing with average joe tackle guys, as opposed to the big corporates. Where did you get the rod?

Ryan

I did unfortunately get it at BPS.

Going to buy another one next week and just hope it was a fluke.

Ouch!

I'm a big believer in getting my rods at smaller tackle shops - they take GOOD care of you and really try and help you get exactly what you need.

Also, I've found that my local tackle shops are CHEAPER than BPS for most rods. At first I didn't believe it, and then I realized BPS just has a lot of people bent over.

BPS tends to have popular, high turnover products a bit cheaper than most and they advertise it and get a lot of people in the door that way....ie most lures, some rods and reels, etc....really price check on teh big ticket items tho...my buddy's tent was over 100 cheaper at lebarons, regular price...

btw, how old was the rod that you broke?

BPS tends to have popular, high turnover products a bit cheaper than most and they advertise it and get a lot of people in the door that way....ie most lures, some rods and reels, etc....really price check on teh big ticket items tho...my buddy's tent was over 100 cheaper at lebarons, regular price...

btw, how old was the rod that you broke?

You come to learn quickly that BPS is good for buying bulk and not much else (save for the awesome sales they sometimes have) - if you're looking for bulk jig heads, go to Bass Pro, if you're looking for Legend rods, go somewhere else.

If it can be fixed, would anyone know what the cost would be? would it be worth it to fix? would it reduce any kind of sensitivity or performance in the rod?

Thanks

Don't give up completely. My father is a rod builder and did a lot of repair work in the past. If you fish in Port Hope, let me know when you'll be there -- he goes there daily. Otherwise send a photo.