Party Fishing

Fisherman

Now you are in the middle of the lake with your buddy. You have 4 walleye on your personal stringer, your buddy has 3 on his stringer. Rain clouds are closing in and you hook into a nice one. Does that fish go back in the lake or onto your buddies stringer? Be honest.

hand him the rod before the fish is "caught" and now its his not yours

Guest gbfisher

hand him the rod before the fish is "caught" and now its his not yours

That would mean that your buddy is now fishing with more than one rod. Specially if yer being watched.

Funny how each knows when they are breaking the law but try and figure out ways to pull the wool over a co's eye's. Believe me when I say they have seen it all and know how to deal with each situation and fine you accordingly.

Now put the rods in holders and troll........ :whistling:

Same deal on Joe. It will only be a matter of time till they catch you. Adding to someone elses limit after you have caught and kept your limit will get you charged for sure. Better yet you will lose everything related to getting you out there to fish as well. Equipment, machines... etc.

Exactly. I spend alot of time ice fishing as well. I am very adamant about keeping my catch separate from others that I am with. Why on earth would want to risk your fishing license and on top of that everything you use to enjoy the sport?

I've had this explained to me very clearly on Simcoe by a CO who was checking licenses. He had just written up a few guys that were fishing close by and I asked him what went on as the guy getting the ticket was very loud in his displeasure. Seems the CO sat and watched 1 angler land a number of whities in a short span of time and this angler kept his 2 and them kept keeping them but placing the landed fish at his buddies whole. NOT ALLOWED!!

One angler can catch and keep only the number of fish on the personal daily limit. They can not catch and keep more than the limit even if his buddy doesn't have his count. CO's don't care who owns what lines or who was watching which tip up. It's the physical act of landing the fish that indicates whos fish it is.

The CO gave us a simple solution . If you have you're count put the fish back down the whole. If a buddy needs a fish let him/her land it.

In my opinion, being a hunter where party hunting is legal and being of an age where party fishing was

socially , traditionally, morally and legally acceptable at one time, this change in the regulations or enforcement of, not really sure if it was really technically legal but was overlooked as long as the headcount in the boat covered the fish on the stringer. It is one big mess!

In my opinion, being a hunter where party hunting is legal and being of an age where party fishing was

socially , traditionally, morally and legally acceptable at one time, this change in the regulations or enforcement of, not really sure if it was really technically legal but was overlooked as long as the headcount in the boat covered the fish on the stringer. It is one big mess!

Theres a big difference between party hunting and party fishing though. Tags are used to identify kills in hunting, and obviously the seasons are much shorter. Fishing is easy to take advantage of as far as limits go, which if party fishing were allowed these days, could easily decimate populations of fish on a body of water.

Why are people so concerned about being able to take all they can out of the water anyways? It sure as hell aint what gets me out fishing!

then how do charters get away with it??

Who says we do ??? Along time ago in a land far far away , we used to set up the lines (I run 6 to 8 lines depending on size of party ) and than the boys would draw cards to see who goes first second etc. , I have now been told NO CAN DO as that would be one guy fishing with 8 lines , so now eatch guy gets 2 rods and that is that , now we tag eatch fish caught with a coloured tag , blue for you red for him etc. for all kept fish . No more 8 guys plus me and deck hand means 10 limits in box , things change , do I think its right , maybe what do I know Im a fisherman not a liar ,I mean lawyer, but I trust that the guys makeing these silly (did I say silly , I ment smart , well thought out ,sorry for my spelling mistake) rules know what they are doing and even if I did not I still must follow them . just my take on things , but please do not think charters get away with things I get stopped as much if not more and checked out as anyone out on the lake .

They were nailing people all over simcoe lastyear for party fishing. Some of the guys I know would have their limit but continue to fish and when they hooked one they would pass the line over to someone who needed a fish .. Seemed to keep the CO's happy.

Lots of fish likely die from someone having their limit and releasing a dozen more while they are waiting for their fishing partner to catch their limit... If you and your partner are going to go home with you limit anyways would it be better for 4 fish to be caught or 20 ( 18 by one guy but 16 released) ?

It's the LAW, follow it or don't fish!

Same deal on Joe. It will only be a matter of time till they catch you. Adding to someone elses limit after you have caught and kept your limit will get you charged for sure. Better yet you will lose everything related to getting you out there to fish as well. Equipment, machines... etc.

For what it's worth, I never said I party fish on Joe, but yes we do put the fish in one pile. I'm sure everyone can also identify who caught which fish. And no, this isn't so we can get the max limit, since we C&R most of the fish anyways, and rarely actually keep the 6-8 fish total for the 3-4 of us (even though most people catch more than 2 fish). Fish go in one pile since we often rotate holes/rod/tip-ups. I was just pointing out that the CO always seems fine with this.

The other point I was making is that it is a stupid law because it is non enforceable. Even if the way it is being "enforced" at the moment counts, it's still pointless. You are with a buddy on Simcoe, caught two whitefish and your buddy caught one. The CO is fine with him keeping the fish as long as he lands it, so assuming you hand him your rod when you have a fish on, what good is this law doing if four rods are still being used?

Edited by Kilka

We have 2 co's in west nipissing. You really think they give a crap who caught the fish. I don't think so, as long as you don't exceed the total possesion limit and the fish are not in the slot. Like others have said, there's no way this rule can be enforced.

The natives have to be within a certain weight limit at the end of their season. Do you really think they give a crap about a weignt limit, NO. Do you think a weight limit can be enforced for the natives, NO. I am just tring to say that some peaple are making too much of a big deal about this topic.