Any body else fish for theses

Last Friday we had 2 on but the net was too small took my cradle yesterday & much better, Randy's came on a jerkbait & mine on a crankbait, lots of hits & more follows, what have you used to catch Gar, tried spinners nothing, follows on spinnerbaits, couple hits on senkos, water is 90+ degrees

Any thoughts Richard

PICT0402.jpgPICT0399.jpg

Very cool gar! They have been on my to-catch list for some time... very prehistoric looking fish. None of the lakes that I currently fish have them. I have been told that BOQ has a big population of them... I was told/have read that you can catch them better by attaching a piece of nylon rope to your lure - their teeth will get caught up in it... not sure if that is true or not.

Mere babies, the back waters of the Georgian Bay also has them. Although I have never intentionally fished for them they were incidental catches while fishing with live bait, minnows. I got one like 46-47 inches? I didn`t think the fight it gave was equal to it`s size. My ex got one the same day, within minutes, it didn`t have the hook in it`s mouth, just the line tangled around it`s bill and teeth. I actually thought they were a bother, it seemed like target species moved away when they came around and a waste of expensive bait.

I have seen them in Sandusky Bay Ohio and Presque Isle Pa, both parts of Lake Erie also. It seems like they tend to favor calm still water areas with lots of bait fish present.

The BOQ is loaded with them and my buddies target them with fly rods on a regular basis. They love to sit and sun themselves in 2-3' of water.

I recently got out to try my hand at it as well and put a dozen in the boat, lost many more as it's tough to get the hooks into them. No monsters landed but we did see an absolute giant - without exaggerating, it was almost 6' long!

A few pics:

Gar.jpg

DaveTOOTHYgar.jpg

DAVEgarGRIPnGRIN.jpg

Gar will hit just about anything that resembles a minnow but they are lazy and generally won't move very far for a fly/lure. Presentation is key - you need to get your offering at their eye level and almost hit them on the head with it. Strikes happen quickly and can be subtle so you have hit them quickly with a big set in order for the hooks to penetrate. Ideally you want to find a fish that is sitting motionless and is looking away from you. Cast in front of them and retrieve right beside their head - more often then not, they'll strike.