notty salmon fishing

Drock6687

I fish the Notty every fall, and it's usually the middle of September they start to run, then a few weeks later the rainbow start to come up. Depending on the amount of rain and temperature.

Long before you ever held a fishing rod, we had salmon in the Notty as early as mid June with the probable "average" year starting about the 2nd week of August with multiple runs coming every week until the end of September, then the rainbow runs would start.

Long before you ever held a fishing rod, we had salmon in the Notty as early as mid June with the probable "average" year starting about the 2nd week of August with multiple runs coming every week until the end of September, then the rainbow runs would start.

Dont forget about the Skamianias (sp?) aswell. What a rush.

Guest gbfisher

the rain we had the first week in july this year........ ;)

Last year was brutal for rainbow in the notty, not sure if there was too much rain or what, I know there was a big damn north of angus. The previous year I fished half the time and caught twice as many rainbow.

I certainly agree i was told by another fisherman that natives were gill netting hundreds of trout.

Screaming lines, smokin' reels and rods bent like a big C. Long gone are those years, unfortunately and probably never to return.

LOL My very first one,it was up the river, round the bend,back down back up, about 20 times.

Screaming lines, smokin' reels and rods bent like a big C. Long gone are those years, unfortunately and probably never to return.

That's why I love the sport.

I've been hardcore since about 1977.

Right now is the golden age for the sport in the great lakes region.

That's why I love the sport.

I've been hardcore since about 1977.

Right now is the golden age for the sport in the great lakes region.

I don't know about that lots of epic fall days(50 fish on) on the LargeSkull in the mid eighties. Don't hear about to many of those on ontario rivers anymore.

Edited by Musky or Specks

I don't know about that lots of epic fall days(50 fish on) on the LargeSkull in the mid eighties. Don't hear about to many of those on ontario rivers anymore.

Georgian Bay trib's still have their moment in the sun, albeit the numbers aren't what they used to be.

As someone who fishes for steelhead in every province and state that borders all the lakes, I can safely say the sport, the fishery, and the opportunities for anglers have never been better.

As someone who fishes for steelhead in every province and state that borders all the lakes, I can safely say the sport, the fishery, and the opportunities for anglers have never been better

You SIR,from the reports you post,know what you are talking about. IMO.

I myself, really enjoyed fishing the tribs back in the earlly 80,s.Lots of fish. I just got away from it.

Last year was brutal for rainbow in the notty, not sure if there was too much rain or what, I know there was a big damn north of angus. The previous year I fished half the time and caught twice as many rainbow.

Last year was a banner year for steelhead in the Notty, where were you fishing? lol

Angus, no one was catching hardly any

Angus is one of the most heavily pressured spots on the river and as a result, fishing goes stale there quickly. There are a multitude of other places to go that almost always hold Steelhead - they're just a bit harder to get to. Fished moved upstream quickly last season with all of the water so lower sections tended to be a tough go.

Trust me when I say last year was a good one...just gotta know where to look! Here's just a small sample:

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

Last year was a banner year for steelhead in the Notty, where were you fishing? lol

I fish close to alliston, i caught a few but not the normal. Some of my favourite spots went private property. The notty is not my favourite river because all the how murky, slow and loggy it is.

I fish close to alliston, i caught a few but not the normal. Some of my favourite spots went private property. The notty is not my favourite river because all the how murky, slow and loggy it is.

The Notty always has a tinge to it, and the logs are another thing you need to deal with.. I'm glad I'm only 15mins away from the river, definitely one of my favs and most frustrating I might add..

Alot of fish made it up way past Alliston early in the season last year, which is great for the fishery.

Unfortunately posted land is becoming the norm on the middle Notty (between Angus and Alliston). I figured that with the recent change to the no-kill regs for that section, traffic would lessen and landowners would be less militant but it actually seems to have gone the other way. With that said, there are numerous good places to fish where public access isn't an issue.

The slow, log-infested water definitely isn't everyone's cup of tea and I know many decent Steelheaders that have tried it a few times only to delare "there aren't any fish in the Notty!" I'm happy to let them go on believing this! :whistling: