Lakair Lodge Vacation Booked

laszlo

Booked Cottage #9 at Lakair Lodge for Aug. 29th to Sept. 1st.

This will be my first time fishing The West Arm section of Nipissing.

Questions...

Anyone stay in that cottage before?

Will a fishing Kayak get me to good fishing structure in that area?

Thanks

Laz

I've spent a few weeks in cabin 9 over the course of two years but I haven't stayed there recently. My only gripe was the screen on the door and its probably been fixed. Or maybe not. LOL!!

It's a nice cabin and a great location. I really enjoyed having my dock at my doorstep but with the water so low this year, it may not useable.

It's a small cabin, fine for two people that plan on fishing.

Cover the north shore to the west in the 'yak and hold on tight!

If Cabin 9 is in the little bay right next to the lodge, there is docking there. We had a few boats in there this past June. Like Brian said, follow the north shoreline and you'll find some nice weed beds to keep you occupied. The water level is down about 2-3 feet, as of June, so the weed beds didn't seem as far a long as in past years - but that could have changed since then. Across the river from Lakair Lodge Marina, there's a nice wide area of reeds that may be work checking out. I heard of a 40+ inch musky caught - not too far from camp up the West Arm.

Best of luck and let's see some pics when you get back.

Laz,

Barbara and I were in Cabin 9 for a week in July. The screen door doesn't fit too well so thankfully the bugs will be pretty much done by the time you get up there. The cabin is small so plan on spending a lot of time on the water. The little cove that the cabin looks over gives a semi private spot to dock the boat.

As previous posts say the water is down at least 2 1/2' possibly 3'. Weed growth, at least a few weeks ago, was not what it was last year so are probably going to find more along the North shore. You don't need to travel far to get into fish. As Rich says there are Muskie as well as Pike and Walleye spots less than 5 mins from the lodge. Get a map of the area Kevin sells them at the lodge,

Have a great trip...

I'm in cabin 11 right now, walked by cabin 9 to see and I could hear an electric nail gun. They were fixing the screens so that will be all good for when you come up. The dock for that cabin is not even in the water, but the one right beside is so you can use that.

Enjoy and bring some warm clothes. It has been hot during the day and cold at night.

Joey

Guest LivingLegend

Was there last yr, cottages are tight space but who cares ur there to fish. Wish I brought up my fishing kayak, what kayak do you have?

Caught a med size Pike right off the dock they have there and lost a beast due to my drag to tight after trying to get it out of the weeds, forgot to loosen it and i paid 4 it...mad.gif . Stay to the west...................or go where you please........

You'll really enjoy your time at Lakair, it's a gorgeous spot and Kevin & Leslie are great people.

His rental boats are nice, 18' cedarstrips with 15 HP Yammies. It's a big area and if you want to explore you'll be able to cover alot of ground in the boat, or if you want to stay close-by, which is also good fishing, the kayak would also work well for you.

Have a great trip !!

im at lakair right now, sitting on a rock down by the marina. the water is down at least 3 feet and the fishing seems to be tough. the area is fantastic and the people here are great. we've been marking plenty of fish, just cant get any into the boat. hope to change that this afternoon and evening. looks like theres plenty of spots you could get to with the kayak, just be careful of the bigger boats that go by.

I've seen folks fish for Walleye's right next to the bridge - on both sides. Heading west, around the channel that leads into Warren bay. So, it seems ya have a few choices in easy reach with a kayak. Best of Luck and I fully agree, Kevin and Leslie are first class people.

Edit: I don't fish for Walleye, sorry I can't help ya out more than that.

Edited by Rich Clemens

How's your holiday Joey? I hope the fish are finding you okay!

Holiday was great, thanks for asking Brian, back at home now. Fishing was hard to non-existent. Report to follow.

Guess we missed you Dunner, headed out this morning about 10 a.m.

Good luck with the pickerel!! I'd give you some tips but I have none, they're not in their usual haunts and we mostly musky fish. From our fishfinder, I'd say troll deeper channels.

Joey

I keep hearing that the fishing in the

West Arm of Nipissing is REALLY BAD this year.

Can some of you that have been up there this year pipe in and shed some light on this?

My expectations are never crazy high when fishing Nipissing but a few decent size Smallies (15"-19") and Pike in

the 26"-32" range is enough to keep me happy...along with beautiful scenery and time to chill.

I keep hearing that the fishing in the

West Arm of Nipissing is REALLY BAD this year.

Can some of you that have been up there this year pipe in and shed some light on this?

My expectations are never crazy high when fishing Nipissing but a few decent size Smallies (15"-19") and Pike in

the 26"-32" range is enough to keep me happy...along with beautiful scenery and time to chill.

There are lots of places to fish out there. One of my beast spots this year is at the hay narrow its were the west arm meets nippissing

it takes me about 15 min to get to lakair in my boat 50 hp. An over cast day would be the better choice, that i have found out there. i do allot of trolling and thats how i catch pike go around the islands out there and you should do well caught my limit out there in a few hours still head out there and find lots more.

rsz_dsc04626.jpg

good luck and happy fishing

Edited by pikeguy