Father and Son rescued from sinking boat on Lake Ontario

fisher

Yeah,

It sounds to me that they forgot to put the plug in . . . or that the old plug was no good - which is fairly common. Regardless, I'm sure a full investigation will happen now that like three government organizations had to be involved in the rescue efforts.

On a bright note, the two of them seem to have had everything they needed to be safe on the water - life jackets (you can tell by his comment about the boat sinking, and no them sinking), a flare gun, a bail bucket - all these things helped save their boat and potentially them. Glad to hear these weren't two more drownings this year, and kudos to these guys for being well prepared and to the rescue services for being ready to get 'em (save for the one boat not in the water thing)

It was only the fourth time on the water for the father and son when they found themselves stranded 1.5 miles off the Whitby coast at about 2:30 p.m. on July 27.

“The boat started vibrating quite heavily so we anchored up to go have a look and we noticed there was lots of water coming in from the back of the engine,” said Mr. Reynolds, who moved to Ajax from England a month ago and just purchased the boat last week.

1.5 miles off Whitby ..... how long is this guy's anchor rope?

It was only the fourth time on the water for the father and son when they found themselves stranded 1.5 miles off the Whitby coast at about 2:30 p.m. on July 27.

“The boat started vibrating quite heavily so we anchored up to go have a look and we noticed there was lots of water coming in from the back of the engine,” said Mr. Reynolds, who moved to Ajax from England a month ago and just purchased the boat last week.

1.5 miles off Whitby ..... how long is this guy's anchor rope?

Thinking the same thing, 80-90ft of water if I remember right of the top of my head.

Edited by Harrison

A more experienced boater might have just drove it home if it was just the drain plug.

As far as finding 50 gal. of water in the boat 5 miles out in LO , been there done that, but I did the same thing , stopped and baled it till we got ahead of it. Hole in the bottom. The other time the drain plugs were out of the motor. Steering gets sluggish when the boats full of water.

They prob. forgot to put in the plug...

That was my first thought, but I hate to jump to conclusions.

I sincerely hope the boat was sold in a safe condition....the thought of it being sold otherwise is kinda scary.

Could be a crack somewere, could have been a bad patch, maybe the guys new to boating all together and damaged the boat while trailering?

For all we know could be the guys 4th time ever on the water :dunno:

Just glad to hear everyone made it home safe.

Well in the Video you can see the bilge pump running out of the factory hole.. Guess they just didn't know how to turn it on or something.

Cobourg is always very fast to respond doesn't seem to matter how far away.

Personally I think they just need proper education on the use of a boat and how everything works before going back on the water..