Night Fishing

rylan

I wanted to ask if anyone ever catches Walleye at night on top water.

if so, what do you use?

It was a long time ago as I don't fish at night anymore...but I have caught pickerel on a jitterbug after dark in the Otonabee while fishing for bass...not many mind ya...

I fish a popper pretty well every evening when the conditions allow. In 14 years since I moved here, I've caught two walleye doing this. One was just this year.

I have caught a few on a jitterbug, a few on a rapala skitter pop, and a few on floating rapalas that were just sitting on the surface right beside the boat. But as others have said, it is a pretty rare occurence... slow reeled minnow type baits (jointed rap, x-rap) have been my best night-time walleye lures by far.

I've caught a hand full of walleye (including one about 4 pounds) on topwater baits, but I was always targeting smallies at the time. As others have said, you'll eventually get a couple on top-water baits, but your night-time hours are probably better spent using other techniques.

My buddy on the French River goes out during the August full moon every year to a certain spot where all they do is troll Rapala type baits and all they catch is walleye in the ten pound range. In the days before rubber nets and LED headlights he used to bring three or four mesh-type nets every night because trying to extract three trebles from one of those old nets in the dark was near impossible. He'd cut the line, throw the tangled net in the front of the boat and worry about it in the daylight.