My turn to ask a carp question

dsn

Ok as some folks know I have a pet frog. I have chopped up Talapia to feed the frog which someone recommend me from this board to do. Which is working out fine.

A thought just came to me this morning why not go fishing for carp and feed them to my pet frog. (African Clawed Frog ). I know exactly where to go, to find the 2-3 lb carp so that not a problem. But even at that size they are still too big.

I know they are a very boney fish. And I have never fillet one before.

Does anyone know how to fillet a carp? Or where can I even find a diagram of the bone structure of a carp that would help too.

Thanks

DSN

Oh here we go I found something. But I certainly don't have those tools.

Check out the massive load of eggs. No wonder why theres so many of them around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BtdIhv3h7I

Edited by DSN

I think hes worried about the frog choking on some of the bigger bones in there. If I had it as a pet I would want to do the same thing. Can a frogs insides even handle bones like that going through it?

Frogs swallow their prey alive and whole. Animals that do this are equipped to handle it. They may even require it for proper nutrition.

He's just trolling.

Frogs swallow their prey alive and whole. Animals that do this are equipped to handle it. They may even require it for proper nutrition.

He's just trolling.

Whole yes, but cut up, no... You could feed it a whole 1" goldfish and it wouldn't have a problem. But a piece of fish with a thick bone in, it probably couldn't handle.

When you feed arowana market shrimp, you remove the tail spikes off the shrimp, as it has been known to puncture or lodge in their digestive tract. This sounds similar.

Doesn't sound like he is trolling to me....

As for cleaning the carp, no need to make sure you get every piece of meat off, just do a quick fillet job and take a bone free slice from each side. How much do those frogs eat?

Burt :)

But killing a carp would be sacrilege! You’d anger the carp gods for eternity!

My offer is still up for giving that frog a new home ;)

But a piece of fish with a thick bone in, it probably couldn't handle.

When you feed arowana market shrimp, you remove the tail spikes off the shrimp, as it has been known to puncture or lodge in their digestive tract. This sounds similar.

Good to know...I’ve occasionally fed my arowana the whole thing shell and all…If I was to feed my fish something like a frog (possibly of African origin), is there anything I should remove from it first? :D

Good to know...I’ve occasionally fed my arowana the whole thing shell and all…If I was to feed my fish something like a frog (possibly of African origin), is there anything I should remove from it first? :D

If it's an African "Clawed" frog, you should probably remove the claws lol.....

Burt :)

Can you not feed it pieces that still has bones in it?

if you really do cut one up, make sure you buy 50 cans of frebreeze before you do so lol.

Oh Yeah I forgot about that. LOL I guess 2-3lb'ers are not that bad. Then again I have no clue.

I'll let you know.lol

dsn

Edited by DSN

Whole yes, but cut up, no... You could feed it a whole 1" goldfish and it wouldn't have a problem. But a piece of fish with a thick bone in, it probably couldn't handle.

Doesn't sound like he is trolling to me....

As for cleaning the carp, no need to make sure you get every piece of meat off, just do a quick fillet job and take a bone free slice from each side. How much do those frogs eat?

Burt smile.gif

These frogs are eating machines.. they eat and eat and eat. Its all they do. For example every time he swims both front arms move towards his mouth. As if he's stuffing his face with food non-stop.

dsn

How to clean a carp?

You need soap, water and a small scrub brush. Make sure you read the directions on the soap first and then gently scrub your carp with the soap and brush, (they like to be scrubbed under the belly :good: ). Once you have finished cleaning your carp, rinse with water and release. Careful not to harm the carp because if it dies you may be required to consume the fish so as not to break any federal regulations about wasting the flesh of an angling caught fish.

We need more anglers like you who want to clean up the environment and the fish that live in it. :Gonefishing:

Good Luck.

Same process for cleaning the frog but as a domestic species you could probably consume the frog if it passes during the refreshing bath.

Edited by Michael Brown