A weekend on Woods

troutologist

After a whirlwind of tournaments, travelling and guiding this spring/summer I finally got a chance to get out camping with my girlfriend again (last time was May Long weekend…) After watching the radar for possible T-storms Friday, we hit the road with a promising weather report around 2pm. Got to the lake, launch the boat and had camp set up by about 530pm. Camp was on a small island, tucked off the main lake and away from much traffic and close to good fishing….perfect spot!!

Home for the weekend

LOTW_July_23-25_2010_002.jpg

The Boat

LOTW_July_23-25_2010_003.jpg

Alicia and pup who ran everywhere around the island at full speed all weekend, he really likes camping!

LOTW_July_23-25_2010_004.jpg

Without much hesitation we hit the water for the evening bite and found fish on a few of my go to spots, then hit tried a few new ones and found the same result.

LOTW_July_23-25_2010_009.jpg

LOTW_July_23-25_2010_006.jpg

Ready to help with the net at a moments notice….

LOTW_July_23-25_2010_005.jpg

After got back at dark and relaxed by the fire with some beer and bison burgers…a great night. Rain started around midnight announcing bedtime, though let up around 4am.

Saturday dawned clear and calm, we got an early start as boat traffic (tournament weekend too) can be heavy. It got hot fast, no wind and no clouds forced us to take a few swimming breaks.

Again same results….the key was rigging or jigging leeches on points or humps. They definitely had a preference for one technique over the other at different times throughout the day.

LOTW_July_23-25_2010_013.jpg

Got into a few better fish

LOTW_July_23-25_2010_016.jpg

LOTW_July_23-25_2010_020.jpg

LOTW_July_23-25_2010_022.jpg

Murphy helped me measure and release fish

LOTW_July_23-25_2010_019.jpg

Rain threatened on Saturday evening but never came, we caught some more walleye ate a late shore lunch and generally enjoyed life.

Got up Sunday, caught another pile of walleye, kept a few for dinner and had to head home early to take care of some work commitments. Great weekend, company, weather and fishing couldn’t have been better.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Looks like a top notch weekend. Good to see pics of the new dog as well.

The boat looks ridiculous.

"He was teaching me how to shoot the rifle, rifle..."