Gobies

daryl0815

I went fishing for a few hours the other day at Frenchmans bay for Carp, and possibly a catfish, using worms and corn.

I literally couldnt keep the stupid Gobies off my line, I must have killed a dozen of them in a couple of hours, and they stripped the bait off of my hook alot of times too. There were so many of them it was sickening.

Then the thunderstorm rolled in and I rolled out.

I had a question though, does anyone know of a carp bait that gobies dont eat?

Maize (aka: cow corn, feed corn, field corn), boilies, maple peas, chick peas (buy the dried ones and soak + boil for 10-15min), black eyed peas, jumbo corn (I buy commercially available ones but you can get them from various super markets dried).

Some people have luck using the cheap no-name brands of canned sweetcorn which apparently are more durable and stay on the hook better...I mostly just stick to the baits mentioned above. I usually try to stay away from canned corn, bread and dough-baits when the gobies are thick.

Gobies are not very selective when it comes to eating. They'll take most anything. I don't carp so I don't know if this will work, but have you tried getting your bait up off bottom a bit. Gobies stay very close to the cover of bottom so it may help.

Thanks guys, yea I am really a newbie when it comes to Carp.

the bait I was using was about 18" off bottom I was using a Lindy Rig, I started out with the worms, and movved on to the canned corn, it didnt seem to matter what I threw in the water, the damned gobies were eating it.

Thanks for the advice, I think that I will try some field corn next.

Are gobies edible? just wondering

Goby on a Stick for the kids, Goby Sweetbreads for the discerning palate, Goby Sushi for the adventuresome, Goby Wrapped in Bacon for the flavour mixers, Goby Haggis for folks with small appetites.

Waste not, want not.

JF

Haha I like it John, mmm Gobies roasted on an open fire, who needs marshmallows.

I must say though that I dont like to eat too many fish that come from Lake Ontario period, let alone a little garbage eating minnow. I threw them in the bushes so something could eat them!

Haha I like it John, mmm Gobies roasted on an open fire, who needs marshmallows.

I must say though that I dont like to eat too many fish that come from Lake Ontario period, let alone a little garbage eating minnow. I threw them in the bushes so something could eat them!

Nothing wrong with Lake Ontario fish if you follow the guidelines. A lot better then farmed fish that's for sure.

Goby on a Stick for the kids, Goby Sweetbreads for the discerning palate, Goby Sushi for the adventuresome, Goby Wrapped in Bacon for the flavour mixers, Goby Haggis for folks with small appetites.

Waste not, want not.

JF

:clapping::rofl2:

what about steamed Goby in a saffron sauce? for the folks from bizzaro world.

:clapping::rofl2:

what about steamed Goby in a saffron sauce? for the folks from bizzaro world.

Well, that sounds good, but I was thinking for the "out there" folks something like Goby deepfried till crisp, then dipped in Belgian white chocolate and rolled in fine chopped roasted macadamias & cranberries with a dusting of garlic powder.

JF

Well, that sounds good, but I was thinking for the "out there" folks something like Goby deepfried till crisp, then dipped in Belgian white chocolate and rolled in fine chopped roasted macadamias & cranberries with a dusting of garlic powder.

JF

LMAO! ahh john at least once a day you write something on here that makes me spew coffee/beer onto my monitor :clapping::lol: thanks bud.