Balsam Tiger Musky?

Face Visor

This fish floated in last weekend, very freshly dead. I've caught a couple musky at Balsam over the years and they've always been much more silver in colour with less distinct markings. Given the increasing prevalence of pike in the lake I was wondering if this was a tiger musky. Just wondering if anyone here could tell.

Musky.jpg

Looks like a tiger to me. Too bad you cut the tail out of the picture. Do you recall whether the tips of the tail fin were rounded or pointed? Muskie's are pointed while pike's are more rounded. Based on the colouring I would say it's a tiger, if it hadn't rounded tips on it's tail it was definitely a tiger.

Yep - tiger for sure.

Beautiful fish. Striking colours. I know it wouldn't make a biologist happy, but i wish they were more common....would really love to catch one, or at least see one in person.

Edited by cram

Thanks for the feedback. The little fella, my neighbor, has a fishing pole and loves going fishing. He, his dad and my daughter spend a fair amount of time pulling in perch with the odd bass, walleye and pike on Balsam.

Here's another pic showing the fins, they look rounded to me.

IMG_0237_2.jpg