lowrance chart for lake Nippissing

aplumma

I fish The west Arm of Lake Nipissing and would like to get the chip for my Lowrance for next season. Does anyone have the I.D. # for the chip and a screen shot so I can see the detail it provides? Anyone have feedback on the quality of the area by Lak Air lodge especially?

Thanks in advance

Art

You'll need to get the Hot Maps (Navionincs) for Canada. Nipissing is on there except west of HWY 64. As soon as you go under the bridge, it looks as though you're on dry land but it'll still show your trail.

Art: A couple years ago I had purchased the Navionics Hot Maps Premium edition for Canada.

On the card itself, it has a little white sticker on it that has ...

HotMaps Premium

East

MSD/Premium - E8

Vol 1.22

Not sure what all they mean. If you look any catalog, Bass Pro, for example, they have these SD cards for the US (which I think there are about 4 of 5 - for various parts of the county). They also make one card for all of Canada - that's the one I have. ALl the ads, catalogs or on the internet, should specify the region.

Roy is correct - there is nothing mapped west of the bridge.

Edited by Rich Clemens

Hey Art,

Can't help ya with Lowrance but I do know that Garmin has an awesome chart for this area. Highly accurate as well. The advantage with Garmin is you can still read the charts while in "overzoom".

Nippissing3mi.jpg

Nippissing200ft.jpg

Nippissing80ft.jpg

Nippissingwestof64BigCut.jpg

Nippissingwestof64.jpg

Nippissingwestof64500ft.jpg

Edited by Ron

Hey Art,

Can't help ya with Lowrance but I do know that Garmin has an awesome chart for this area. Highly accurate as well. The advantage with Garmin is you can still read the charts while in "overzoom".

From the shots Ron posted, my Lowrance screens would look very similar. Contours and depths.

Unless Lowrance has changed over the last few years, I don't think you can see the charts when you zoom in over 75%.

The other bonus with Garmin is you can upload the maps on your PC and actually study the charts and make a game plan at home on a 19" monitor.

you can zoom in as much as you want without losing detail on gold or platinum chips. i know with the old classic chips you could not go in all the way.

the navionics charts are carbon copies of the paper charts. fugawi's product allows you to view them on your screen, mark them up/study them and save to a data card for upload to a lowrance unit. i believe lowrance's mapcreate software will do the same but i haven't fiddled with it.

like i mentioned earlier, navionics gold and platinum great lakes chips will have nippissing on it.

thanks all for the info. Ron I am a Lowrance owner and fan but the Garmin has gotten much better from the charts you posted. Thanks for taking the time. I see an area C chip in my future before I go back up North to fish.

Art

• 2 weeks later...

I have the platinum version for Nipissing on my Lowrance and really don't care for it.

I have a hand held Garmin Rino that has the actual paper map on it which is much more accurate.

Does anyone know if there is a map available for my LMS 522c the same as the Garmin ?

There are numerous innaccuracies on my 3 yr old Navionics chip of the west arm, and has been mentioned nothing west of Rt 64 bridge. Lew showed me on his where red buoys were shown as green. Not cool on that lake. Unless the new chips are a whole lot better consider them for reference only, which is nice if you were to get turned around, but I certainly not to be trusted for navigation.

Lew showed me on his where red buoys were shown as green. Not cool on that lake.

Fred, do you remember the one red buoy in the big bay just east of Memquisit with the white jug about 50' away ??

That's one of the red markers that shows up as green on my chip and if you were travelling at night or in the fog and going by the GPS and passed it on the right as you would in that direction with a green buoy, you'd be right up on top of the rocks and probably tear the bottom outta your boat.

As you say Fred, "not cool on that lake"

GPS units are good, but you've still gotta know what the heck your doing or you'll be in BIG trouble.

A couple years ago I navigated to Lakair with ease on the Garmin with the actual map style chart on it.

It also has the map of the west end on it.

Mapsource I believe is the brand name of the chart on the Garmin.

I would like to get a chart the same as what the map shows for my Lowrance.

I don't care if it looks pretty, it just needs to be accurate.

Edited by Bernie

On my way across tonight I took a different route to check the placement of local rocks referenced to the Lowrance GPS map.

That's when I noticed that a complete island was way out of place. Kinda makes you not trust it.

So really it's pretty much useless to get the Platinum version for here anyway.

There must be something better out there, guess I better get a Garmin.

On my way across tonight I took a different route to check the placement of local rocks referenced to the Lowrance GPS map.

That's when I noticed that a complete island was way out of place. Kinda makes you not trust it.

So really it's pretty much useless to get the Platinum version for here anyway.

There must be something better out there, guess I better get a Garmin.

Bernie,

I have the brand new platinum chip for my Lowrance HDS5 and I too had alot of difficulty getting any accurate detailed info. My buddy has the same unit and same chip and he says he has it working perfectly. I have only been out a few times but I think there has to be some more accurate charts on this chip for Nipissing. I know it is not one of the high-def lakes but seriously I think I am more accurate looking for familiar landmarks.