Duty fees

Fisherpete

Anyone have an idea what it might cost me for duty fees if I order some tackle from Rollie and Helen's musky shop in WI? My order would be around $350 US including shipping. Is $50 or $60 in the ballpark?

Certainly 13%HST, PLUS 6.5% duty, (maybe).

Now if they ship it by UPS or Fedex, you are at the mercy of the brokers,for their fees, I have heard horror stories. But, if you specify US PostalService, there will be no brokers fees. Our Canada Post does not use brokers, up to $500.

Sometimes, it just comes through with no fees. (not lately though :dunno: )

Thanks Kingpin.

Does anyone know any good Canadian musky shops (online or otherwise) that I could check out before I place an international order? I am looking to order 24 of a certain lure, (12 for me, 6 each for two of my buddies, in several different colours). All the shops that I have called/checked in and around the GTA are out of stock or don't carry it, and not getting any more in the near future. (including LeBaron, Tight Lines, BPS, Gagnon's, Fishing World, Angling Specialities... Steve at JB's Fishing Depot has not gotten back to me)

Edited by Fisherpete

Not sure, but here's what I've done.

Ordered a pair of pants from Cabellas, no problem or extra charges (other than exchange), they were sent by postal service.

I've recently ordered $60 US worth of dog collars and leash, out of New York state and paid nothing extra. These items were also shipped by US mail/ Canada Post. I enquired at our local post office about extra charges and they said if there was any duties, etc., they would be paid at time of pickup, none required. Bonus!

Hmmmm... let me check out Cabelas again... I checked out ordering from them the other day, and used their shipping calculator for ordering 2 of the items... the price came out really silly, but maybe if I plug in the whole order, the average price per item will work out better.

Even though it's already been said...don't ship UPS !

USPS had gotten all sorts of tackle and packages to me with no fee's. Sometimes even faster than a letter half way across Ontario by CP.

Some tackle places or retailers will only ship by courier so check things out first before ordering, if they won't ship by USPS I walk away....it's not worth getting screwed by UPS.

Rollie and Helen are GREAT to deal with!! USPS.. pay the tax on value and $5 handling and Bob's your uncle. There is no "duty" on USA manufactured products. If something happens to be in there that originated "off shore".. you might get dinged what ever percentage customs has mandated for that product code. Only thing I've ever been nailed for was fishing line.. and the stuff I bought was actually USA made.. they coded it as offshore and that part of the shipment, only, cost me 3.7%

Edited by irishfield

The emails to Rollie and Helen's Musky Shop have been answered by "Jim"... who does not sound like a fan of USPS at all... here is the email from him today:

"We ship to Canada with UPS, or USPS. UPS is very fast but there are more duties. USPS is pretty slow, the package could get lost and they have very poor tracking. We could try and ship an order using USPS but like I said they are a poor option when shipping to Canada because of what I mentioned. If you place an order and want us to ship via USPS please state that when placing your order and we will do so. Kind regards, Jim"

By the way, they have a few of what I am looking for (the secret musky lure lol) with more coming probably this week. I am waiting to see if they are getting all the desired colours in before I order.

Cabelas also has a few of the item available, but not enough to order.

Edited by Fisherpete

Unless you need the baits asap DO NOT go by ups. Like others have said they will rape you with brokerage fees.....Usps might be slow (really slow at times) but it will get to you and you wont have to pay any ridiculous fees. I have never paid any duties or brokerage fees from cabelas or bps. I think cabelas actually ships with ups too from what I can remember but they use a type of shipping with ups where the brokerage fees are included. The problem is most retailers only offer standard ups to international customers and we get hit hard on the receiving end.