Marine Grade Plywood

One of the reasons plywood is used is its strength from having no directional grain. Without having some kind of certification from the manufacturer that their product is rated for this use I would hesitate to put all of that time and money in something that can fail in a tragic manner.

Art

Art I was thinking for the casting decks, benches and what not I would never consider using composite for anything structural

Whatever you use seal it well with an epoxy resin or spar urethane. Don't need marine grade plywood. I did a lot of research on it last year when I decided to redo my boat interior, did 4 coats of spar urethane on my existing wood and it's glassed over nicely, seems invincible.

You also don't need to replace everything, if your wood's not rotten (you'll know after it dries out and you sand off the glue), just seal the crap out of it and reuse it. Maybe you only need to redo the transom if you're lucky.

Noah's marine (in Toronto) is where I picked up my marine plywood and everything I needed fo replace the floor of my boat and the foam under the floor. Beware when you mix the foam it expands like CRAZY and you have to work fast to get it spread correctly or you will have a mess!

http://www.noahsmarine.com/

I did my floor a few years ago and I see they have some new 3M products that look like a good floor replacement too.

http://www.noahsmarine.com/items.asp?Cc=33

They also ship if that is your only option.

Edited by mosquito

It all depends on how long you want it to last and the skills you have and the type/age of boat. You can go cheap on a tinny and replace it in 5 years or if you have a better boat and want to use it for decades more the other end of the spectrum is the 3M products. I would say stay away from exterior grade plywood unless it is a tinny and a beater and anything pressure treated is just asking for problems.

If it is a wood boat or if you need to replace the foam under the floor (the foam in mine had got old enought it was more a sponge) or more complicated repairs and have a good boat then talking to several of the guys at boat repair shops and stores that sell and work on the boats is a good idea. This time of year you might even get a deal on them doing the work for you.

Edited by mosquito