Five sure-fire methods

Garry2Rs

Here are five surefire methods that'll help you hook up with pressured bass, according to "North American Fisherman-TV's" Steve Pennaz:

1. Fish New Lures—

Fish often react positively to lures they have never seen before.

2. Revive Old Classics—

Grandpa's baits still work, and fish haven't seem then in a long while, either.

3. Change Colours—

If the bite slows on green pumpkin, try something else.

4. Tweak Speed—

In many cases, fast is better than slow, often much better.

5. Alter Angle of Attack—

Most anglers cast deep to shallow. When was the last time you took the opposite approach?

Small catches all, don`t be afraid to flip or pitch a 1/16th or 1/8th ounce lure under tough bite conditions. There are times when they just won`t take a big lure, a four inch worm or lizard can still catch big bass. Those 2 inch Rapalas? if that is the size of the predominant bait fish? They might be the way to go?

Don`t get stuck on what should work, don`t be afraid to mix up the offerings.

Guest Johnny Bass

Small catches all, don`t be afraid to flip or pitch a 1/16th or 1/8th ounce lure under tough bite conditions. There are times when they just won`t take a big lure, a four inch worm or lizard can still catch big bass. Those 2 inch Rapalas? if that is the size of the predominant bait fish? They might be the way to go?

Don`t get stuck on what should work, don`t be afraid to mix up the offerings.

I'd have to agree. Downsize and slow down the presentation.

garry this really flies in the face of my 'do the exact same thing in the exact same place i caught that fish 3 seasons ago by this rock' approach. your idea about changing tactics may reduce my ability to witch and moan about the fishing later.

Here are five surefire methods that'll help you hook up with pressured bass, according to "North American Fisherman-TV's" Steve Pennaz:

1. Fish New Lures—

Fish often react positively to lures they have never seen before.

2. Revive Old Classics—

Grandpa's baits still work, and fish haven't seem then in a long while, either.

3. Change Colours—

If the bite slows on green pumpkin, try something else.

4. Tweak Speed—

In many cases, fast is better than slow, often much better.

5. Alter Angle of Attack—

Most anglers cast deep to shallow. When was the last time you took the opposite approach?

Tips number 1 and 2 remind me of Golf Digest cover titles. Want to drop five strokes? Buy a lob wedge. One year later: Want to improve your game, leave the lob wedge in the garage!

At least in this case I got to read the article without having to subscribe.

Jim

Johnny, no idea on a sure fire method, just probabilities. My first goal in a bass tournament was always to catch a fish, just to get some idea what they were willing to take and a general idea of where they would take it, around docks, in weeds, humps, rocks.

Usually 5 or 6 rods rigged and ready to go, some with just a subtle difference in lures, a slightly lighter or darker color, a slightly bigger or smaller size of the same lure. Try to establish a pattern, percentages, a better chance of doing well using this lure in spots like these.

LOL sometimes everything worked, sometimes nothing worked well enough. Just playing with puzzles on the water?

Tips number 1 and 2 remind me of Golf Digest cover titles. Want to drop five strokes? Buy a lob wedge. One year later: Want to improve your game, leave the lob wedge in the garage!

At least in this case I got to read the article without having to subscribe.

Jim

There's no doubt that magazines recycle their stories. That I guess is inevitable since the fish go through the same cycle every year.

There will always be differing opinions, about tackle. If you don't believe me, just start a post about fishing line, and stand back...HAHAHA.

Tip number one refers to the fact that every season there are new "hot" baits. In a year or so these become just average baits...how come? The theory is that fish become accustomed to those baits and ignore them. For example, in the south where it is almost 100% catch and release and there is a year-round season, Rattle type baits like Rattlin Rap, Rattle Trap, etc. are very popular Spring baits.

Over time the fish have become so accustomed to the baby-rattle sound of these baits that their successfulness has diminished. A couple of years ago, a bunch of new baits with a single large ball-bearing, the so called "One Knockers" were introduced to change the sound of these baits.

Tip number two suggests that old-time baits, from forty or fifty years ago, like the River Runt, Flatfish and Hula Popper, might be very attractive to today's fish. Again, you would be showing them something they haven't seen before.

Garry2R's

LMAO, a debate over fishing line? Never! and everyone knows consoles are better than tillers! :clapping:

Yeah Paul, and if you buy a Merc you'll need to be towed back to the dock everyday :lol: