How big should my generator be?

Muskieman

I want to purchase a Generator ( I used to sell them but was never asked this question).

The A/C unit on my camper calls for a 30A (large plug 'kinda like a 220V oven plug) circuit to run the A/C

I know that a 1000-1500 watt Jenny will not run my A/C or anything for that matter.

I looked at 3500's and 6500-7000 W and they both have a 30A plug... salesman couldn't tell me if I would overwork the 3500W Jenny or not. :dunno:

I also want to run the the Camper's microwave and coffeemaker, T.V and other 110V on it... the rest runs on batteries & propane.

Thanks Guys!!

lures020-1.jpg

Randy

:canadian:

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

I want to purchase a Generator ( I used to sell them but was never asked this question).

The A/C unit on my camper calls for a 30A (large plug 'kinda like a 220V oven plug) circuit to run the A/C

I know that a 1000-1500 watt Jenny will not run my A/C or anything for that matter.

I looked at 3500's and 6500-7000 W and they both have a 30A plug... salesman couldn't tell me if I would overwork the 3500W Jenny or not. :dunno:

I also want to run the the Camper's microwave and coffeemaker, T.V and other 110V on it... the rest runs on batteries.

Thanks Guys!!

lures020-1.jpg

Randy

Randy, that's NOT a 220V AC plug, it's a 30A 120V AC plug, if you do ever get a plug wired for your trailer at home, check the voltage, there's far too many "electricians" that have fried trailers and their electronics inside. I have a Honda 3K, no problem for it to run the air, however bear in mind that if you run the air, the toaster, the coffee pot, the curling iron, all high wattage items, poof there goes the circuit breaker. Your basic 3.5K(3500) will run the A/C and one, maybe two other appliances at the same time. I can run my coffee pot and the microwave at the same time, no trouble, ya just have to pay a bit of attention. Careful of the off brand gennies, hard to find parts for them

Randy, that's NOT a 220V AC plug, it's a 30A 120V AC plug, if you do ever get a plug wired for your trailer at home, check the voltage, there's far too many "electricians" that have fried trailers and their electronics inside. I have a Honda 3K, no problem for it to run the air, however bear in mind that if you run the air, the toaster, the coffee pot, the curling iron, all high wattage items, poof there goes the circuit breaker. Your basic 3.5K(3500) will run the A/C and one, maybe two other appliances at the same time. I can run my coffee pot and the microwave at the same time, no trouble, ya just have to pay a bit of attention. Careful of the off brand gennies, hard to find parts for them

Thanks !!!

I know it's not a 220V plug ... just looks like one.

I'm looking at a 3500w Kippor or Honeywell....those are in my price

range.....I'm staying away from the King Canada... I used to sell those

and Honda" $$".... from behind a parts counter both very problematic....I was really surprised at the Honda... I didn't expect so many come backs

I was expecting the King customers........Kippor seemed to be the better brand that I sold.

I'll watch what I run and it'll save me from buying a bulky 6500W.

Randy

The formula is amps X volts = watts.

Watts X 1.5 equals start up load.

Add all possible combinations of electrical items used at the same time = watts needed to not run in a low wattage (brown) condition.

a 10 amp 120 volt a/c uses 1200 watts to run after a 1800 watts start up ( example:roughly equal to a hair dryer). You can burn out if you are lucky or start a fire if not by running a generator in a brown condition.

Art

I am pretty sure that you can't get 30 amps out of the plug on the genny.I have yamaha inverter 3000 and the 23 amps I get from the main output will run the air-fridge-ONE other appliance on my trailer before it trips(34ft park model)My sister has a kipor3000 and it can't do as much as she is always tripping the breaker.

What ever you do buy the QUIETESS one you can as after a couple of hours all you want to do is turn off the noise regardless.When my yamaha is running most people in the park don't even know that it is just purring away. that unit is expensive but I am glad shelled out for it as in 4 years only thing I have done is change the oil.

You will need an adapter from the three prong lock plug on the gen to fit the three prong on your trailer they are usually different.

vance

I've got a Honda 3800 electric start, remote start, and it runs my AC fine on my 39 ft Golden Falcon. I've had the Honda for about 6 years now but it replaced another Honda 3500cc that caught fire and destroyed itself .....it was about 8 years old. I've seen/heard the Kippors running and I'm impressed at the low noise, my Honda seems louder.