Live well Problems

LucG

The last couple times I've been out fishing, my live-well pump seems to be giving me problems. Once in a while, I'll turn on the pump, but it wont pump water. I can hear the pump running, but no water enters the live-well. I'll shot it off, wait a minute or two and attempt it again, and it works fine. It has done this a several occasions.

I don't run it while the boat is going above tolling speed, so its not like I'm running it dry. Could my pump be damaged?

The impeller may have sucked in a rock or other piece of debris. This has happened to me several times. It's an easy fix.

I love an easy fix, but for me, its never easy....lol

What did you do in your case?

I love an easy fix, but for me, its never easy....lol

What did you do in your case?

Have a look in the intake tube. You might get lucky and see something in there that's causing the problem. If you see something, simply try to hook it out from there. Worst case is that you have to remove the intake tube from the pump itself and remove it from that end. If you don't see anything, remove the pump housing. You may find something stuck in the impeller itself.

Most boating stores sell a screen that screws on the the back of the pump, they are cheap a couple, few bucks. Areas with a lot of boating activity usually have a lot of chopped weeds floating around, it is easy for them to block the water supply. Your pump could be bad, replacement? 20-40 bucks?

Note: if your boat came with a 500 gph pump? bigger may not be better! the overflow may not handle the extra amount of water and your live well can overflow.

Most boating stores sell a screen that screws on the the back of the pump, they are cheap a couple, few bucks. Areas with a lot of boating activity usually have a lot of chopped weeds floating around, it is easy for them to block the water supply. Your pump could be bad, replacement? 20-40 bucks?

Note: if your boat came with a 500 gph pump? bigger may not be better! the overflow may not handle the extra amount of water and your live well can overflow.

Yeah, I already have that screen installed. That is why I kinda crossed out something something stuck in the pump. I'll have to wait for a rainy day and see if I can locate the problem. Thanks

I had the same problem with my original pump (angled tube), It wouldn't pump water, but I just went in reverse and primed the pump, worked every time. Now I have the straight tube and never had that problem again. Hope this helps.

I had the same problem with my original pump (angled tube), It wouldn't pump water, but I just went in reverse and primed the pump, worked every time. Now I have the straight tube and never had that problem again. Hope this helps.

How do I make the pump go in reverse? I have a ON/OFF switch, thats it.

it is an air lock issue if the pump is higher than the water level or back sloped then you have air around the impeller which does not compress and draw the water in. When you shut it off it is enough of a bounce to get enough water in to the impeller and it compresses the water and draws more in to fill the livewell. See if you can lower the pump or change its angle from what it is to the opposite (if it is slooped forward the wedge it back or vice versa.)

Art

I believe he means, make the boat go in reverse while the pump is trying to get its prime.

lol....yeah, i noticed that. Read it too fast the first time I guess. I tried out that suggestion and it worked like a charm. Thanks Guys.