Lakair GTG Report

Rich Clemens

Another OFC GTG has come and gone - number 10 I believe. This was my 4th and Patsy's 3rd. We both really look forward to this gathering each year and excited to see everyone's reports and pics from the week-end. Caught up with old friends and met some new ones. Always good to put a face and a person to a board name. We're all different, in many ways, but it's just one big happy family when we all get together. Everyone has a great time. Looking forward to next year already.

Patsy and I arrived on Thursday the 17th and set up shop. Took a little run that evening to check out the water levels and some scouting of the weed-beds for Saturday's pike derby (Didn't do us a bit of good though). With the low water levels, things were certainly different than they were last year.

With Musky opening on the 19th, we stayed the following week to see if we could track one down. Good thing not everyone bailed on Sunday as we had some good visits with our neighbors John/Barb and Paul/Joey were there for the entire week as we were. Thanks for the time folks.

Water levels were low, as expected, and we broke in our new boat - literally. Got the bottom scratch up, the side, a few very small knicks in the skeg. Oh well - the first one is always the hardest. Now that it is done - no worries. At least, until Patsy sees them. The new ride worked flawlessly and had to take it easy for the first few days as we had not yet completed the break-in period. She was out of commission for about a month after we bought her to get a custom roof and cover made. Really appreciated that roof on the hot/sunny and rainy days. Gave our two girls some much needed shade and cover from the elements.

The fishing, for us anyway, was way off from last year. We had a pretty tough week, even pounding the water for hours on end. Trolling, casting, mixing up the baits, etc. 9 days and a grand total of 9 pike - so I averaged 1 fish per day. Biggested was in the mid 20" range. Poor Patsy, she caught her first (and only) fish on Thursday - the day before we packed it in. But - this was not for a lack of trying.

Marked a lot of shoals out in the bay and I had posted some information in another thread for anyone who may be heading up that way in the near future. (I have the GPS coordinates if anyone wants them - from a Lowrance HDS-7). I was surprised at the motor busters I didn't realize where there from prior years.

Here's a collage of pictures that we took during our stay. Enjoy:

Our new ride, all rigged up, and on the water.

P1000450.JPG

Low waters:

P1000523.JPG

P1000519.JPG

The Batter Babes in action.

P1000493.JPG

Boyz from the hood.

P1000487.JPG

Another well-stocked price table. Everyone in the pike derby gets a handfull of treats.

P1000484.JPG

Saturday's evening meal.

P1000471.JPG

I BELIEVE HIM !!!

P1000459.JPG

P1000451.JPG

Party Hearty - Then CRASH

P1000456.JPG

A couple Canadian Shield pics. Just love this part of Ontario.

P1000503.JPG

One pike for each.

P1000517.JPG

P1000496.JPG

One big happy family:

P1000467.JPG

Great report and pics Rich. I wish the fishing was a bit better myself, but as you said, water levels really threw them off.

Enjoyed our chats and it was great seeing you two again and can't wait til next year either.

Joey

it was great to meet you Rich. This was our first time at a GTG. We met alot of plp and mad some new friends

i cant wait for next year,We were maid to feel welcome and all got along.

unfortunately the fish were not on our side this time, but maybe next year

Great report and pic hopw to meet up again

RUB IT IN WHY DON'T YA!! :rolleyes:

I had full intentions of getting there , It's just 20 minutes or so from my place...alas was unable to get away. :wallbash:

I had a house full of people all weekend and a 13th birthday party for my son.

I can GUARANTEE I'll be there next year.

Randy

:canadian:

Nice seeing you guys again this year Rich. Great pics and report too.Little hint Rich for next year.Cabbage beds are always up first along the north shore line :whistling:

Cheers !!

Yeah. We spent time wind-drifting and trolling along the north shore-line. Didn't pick up much though. The two "biggest" pike I caught, we're caught trolling past the large island that leads into South Muskrat. There's always next year. Nice seeing you and Sam again).

Glad you guys go home safe and sound. Great to see you both again and of course the girls. Barbara and I are going back up

on Saturday for a week so will let you know how we do.