Need a smartphone (Rogers) - looking for good deal on plan

scugpg

I'm finally going to break down and get modern with a smartphone. I need to be with Rogers(assume bundling services will save?), so I'm looking for a smartphone that is really good and fast for surfing the net and easy to type on. I've been eying up the new Iphone 4G but was wondering if there are other smartphones worth considering.

had a top of the line Blackberry through work but found it sucked for surfing the net.

Also wondering how I can ensure I get the best deal on a plan. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

Edited by scugog

i have a iphone 3gs and its a great phone as long as you are not smashing it around dosnt have the best reception but usually has some bars but if you are looking to get a iphone wait till iphone 4.

i pay $55 a month for 1gig internet, 200 any time min, evenings and weekends free and unlimited txt thats with rogers

i have a iphone 3gs and its a great phone as long as you are not smashing it around dosnt have the best reception but usually has some bars but if you are looking to get a iphone wait till iphone 4.

i pay $55 a month for 1gig internet, 200 any time min, evenings and weekends free and unlimited txt thats with rogers

That seems reasonable...does that include voicemail and call display?

Occasional trips to Peterborough and Northern Ontario are possible with me....so this reception thing has me wondering. Wonder if the new Iphone will be better reception?

Occasional trips to Peterborough and Northern Ontario are possible with me....so this reception thing has me wondering. Wonder if the new Iphone will be better reception?

I wouldn't expect it to but, if you are changing from a 2G (GSM) to a 3G (UMTS) phone, you will most likely notice an improvement in signal strength & call quality. Reception has a lot more to do with the strength of the signal coming from the nearest tower. Cell sites in rural areas usually have a much larger coverage area due to the fact that there is less interference from buildings, etc... However, local terrain, trees, etc... will affect reception. If you need to know in advance, call or e-mail Rogers customer service and they should be able to give you an idea of the coverage where you are planning to travel.

Also remember that most network improvements and coverage augmentations will usually be done on 3G as opposed to 2G since just about every new phone on the market today is 3G (and 4G).

Hope this helps.

Edited by Rob

try typing on a touch screen...

i didn't like it... plus 1 or 2 falls and it's pretty much done..

I phone is cool, if you're lookin for a toy, otherwise, blackberry

i've got a bold 9700 and it's way faster then my bro's bold 9000

I'am with Uncle Buck. Blackberry works best for me, especailly like the BBM (Messenger.)

Few friends have the iphone, some love it, some hate it.

Also, not sure about rogers, but with bell you can get 5 numbers with unlimited calls to and from across Canada. Worth its weight in gold IMO.

Edited by Harrison

I'am with Uncle Buck. Blackberry works best for me, especailly like the BBM (Messenger.)

Few friends have the iphone, some love it, some hate it.

Also, not sure about rogers, but with bell you can get 5 numbers with unlimited calls to and from across Canada. Worth its weight in gold IMO.

You can get that with Rogers as well, it's called "My 5" I think.

I've had a Blackberry since the old 7200 models and currently have the Bold.

Having a real QWERTY keyboard makes typing that much better in my opinion. THe browser on the bold is also heavily improved over all other BB models, it displays sites relatively the same as you'd get with a computer browser. It also has wi-fi, so hooking it to your own wireless network makes browsing much quicker.

Blackberry's currently don't support Flash though, but that shouldn't make or break your decision.

Edit.... DOH what he just said....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ read this after I typed my reply

I just got the BB bold 9000 3g from rogers last week. It has wifi. Let me say that no matter what phone you do get make sure it has wifi. If you plan to surf the net a lot and are near any wireless connection you can access its free and doesnt cost you cell time to browse the net. I dont see any difference between my internet access on my laptop and my cell phone speed wise when im on wifi. when on the cell time it seems a tad slower. Had a Iphone b4 what junk. Im a home renovator and the Iphone wasnt intended for me thats for sure. The touch screen had issues almost in the first week. there thats my 2 cents. Good luckand happy hunting. Oh and one more note. if you plan on typing at all go with the full QWERTY keyboard. again touch screen isint somthing you want for typing either.Again just my 2 cents guys take from it what you will.....

Edited by tb4me

That seems reasonable...does that include voicemail and call display?

new phone should have better reception and my plan has voice mail but no caller ID