Fall Smallies (Pics)

Basskicker

With all this cold weather I thought I'd make a report about another one of my adventues from a couple of years ago with my fiancee. I have several hundred pictures from several different adventures thoughout the last couple of years...so narrowing it down is hard.

We left Whibty and had 3 weeks to go north....once again not sure where...we ended up drivings about 16-17 hours north towards the Manitoba border in search of some remote camping and fishing. Along the way we saw several moose and was lucky enough to capture some of them without putting the car into the ditch reaching for the camera. These crossed the road right in front of us as we came around the bend....

P8120323.jpg

A couple of hours later we came across these two

P5200192.jpg

P5200193.jpg

After what seemed like an eternity we reached Thunder Bay...and we both decided that we couldn't go any further...but of course we did. So after getting some information from the local tackle shop, we decided to head south towards the Minnesota border....there is a chain of lakes that apparently contain some smallmouths.....did they ever.

We had to travel for about another 160 km down some old logging roads with several smaller roads braching in all directions. I really didn't think we'd ever find the small remote lake.....thank god for the GPS so I knew the general direction.....We came across this little feller along the way....

P8080279.jpg

A little lake along the way....

P8080276.jpg

So finally we came near the lake...or so I thought. We had travelled 17 hours and now we had to portage the canoe, camping, fishing gear to the lake which was another 1/2 km through the bush. So finally after another hour or so we finally made it.......we were so exhausted by them....with no place in site to set up camp until we came across this.....home sweet home....awesome spot.

P8080306.jpg

This spot made it all worth it....and the fishing was simply awesome....by far the best smallie action I have ever experienced....not the largest fish in the world...but the numbers were unbelievable. Practically ever cast we hooked one.....I couldn't even light a smoke without taking my line out of the water....almost lost my rod 3 times out of the canoe. Here's some pics...

P8090317.jpg

P8080296.jpg

P8080284.jpg

One afternoon we had to go to shore to relieve ourselves when I came across this....kinda cool to find this Canada/U.S marker securly fastened in the rock..

P8080286.jpg

And here's a couple of more pics......my fiancee was started to get ticked with me wanting her to take all the pictures of the smallies...so we stopped taking pics....but I got a couple more.

P8080293.jpg

P8090310.jpg

And of course...she always catching the biggest fish.....and yes...she never lets me forget it...

P8080300.jpg

As I woke up one morning....I ventured outside to find the nearest tree and watched this guy....what an awesome way to start the morning...

P6290209.jpg

Overall it was an amazing trip....seen 7 moose, 3 bears, grouse, caught a minimun of 80-100 smallies (each) every day....unbelievable. We will definately be going back!!!

P8080281.jpg

P8080304.jpg

P8080307.jpg

Hope you enojy....I sure did....brought back alot of warm memories on this very cold day.

Jason

It's called selective harvesting Zib....Find a family that only had girls...pick the oldest that daddy treated as a son... :lol:

GREAT report Basskicker !!!!!

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind if I can convice my wife to divorce me & not want half of everything I own plus alimony.

As soon as she said that she loved to fish...I knew she was a keeper, and she doesn't mind ruffing it, but you got to be careful....she gets upset if I she doesn't get to go now..hehehe. I can't wait for August...we have a 2 week trip planned for Newfoundland...gonna be awesome.

Man that must have been fun. Looks like you had the place all to yourselves. Oh yeah - I enjoyed the report and the pics. Keep diggin through the archives, I'm sure everyone would love to see another report - even if it is a couple years old. Fantastic pics.