Head lake

eyefish

Fished it once and caught a bass,but the nice gents at the restaurant across the street let me camp out back for a night.Met up with pals the next day,camped and fished fishhog lake.Some big bass were caught,I might add.

Oh and beware of the motel,can be addictive with the entertainment and hooch!tease.gif

Guest Johnny Bass

PM diplip. Every year when someone mentions head lake, he chimes in and says how easy it is to fish and how its like catching fish in a barrel.lol When I go I usually target musky and use big Spinner baits, and catch the occasional pickerel. But I would imagine that if one were to concentrate on pickerel? Grubs is the way too go. And when bass opens up? Tubes for the shoals. One summer I slaughtered the smallies on tubes.And plastic worms for the largies in the weeds. The only spot I have had luck with pickerel is in the southeast end. Look for scattered weeds that come right up to the top in 10-12 FOW.

Early morning and evenings, troll along the little islands.

PM diplip. Every year when someone mentions head lake, he chimes in and says how easy it is to fish and how its like catching fish in a barrel.lol When I go I usually target musky and use big Spinner baits, and catch the occasional pickerel. But I would imagine that if one were to concentrate on pickerel? Grubs is the way too go. And when bass opens up? Tubes for the shoals. One summer I slaughtered the smallies on tubes.And plastic worms for the largies in the weeds. The only spot I have had luck with pickerel is in the southeast end. Look for scattered weeds that come right up to the top in 10-12 FOW.

Early morning and evenings, troll along the little islands.

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info

JohnssonBass, if you can't look at a lake that size that has that many fish and that many fishable spots and not clean up on it under decent weather, you really need to take up golf. I like your assumption that because you blow on a lake that its fished out or not worth the drive for some other reason. (You came up with a similar theory re: big pike in the winter in Cooks Bay recently. Just because you can't go out with rental gear or demo'd stuff of your own and catch a fish doesn't mean there's no fish there lol. I can tell you that there are plenty of fish there from 12 to 20+lbs, and cayching them isn't a complicated procedure if you know what you're doing and have some gear that's in good working order ie: line not snapping, not hearing your rod crack, having a trolling motor/outboard that are operable ). Head Lake is tiny, and full of fish. How many more beachballs over the plate does a guy need lol?

JohnssonBass, if you can't look at a lake that size that has that many fish and that many fishable spots and not clean up on it under decent weather, you really need to take up golf. I like your assumption that because you blow on a lake that its fished out or not worth the drive for some other reason. (You came up with a similar theory re: big pike in the winter in Cooks Bay recently. Just because you can't go out with rental gear or demo'd stuff of your own and catch a fish doesn't mean there's no fish there lol. I can tell you that there are plenty of fish there from 12 to 20+lbs, and cayching them isn't a complicated procedure if you know what you're doing and have some gear that's in good working order ie: line not snapping, not hearing your rod crack, having a trolling motor/outboard that are operable ). Head Lake is tiny, and full of fish. How many more beachballs over the plate does a guy need lol?

I've fished that lake about 5 times... It was LipDip's descriptions and reports of Head that got me curious. I did catch smallmouth quite easily... no muskie, but didn't target them... no walleye yet..

I like the lake b/c it's small and not too far and has a good, free launch. Good weeds in the southeast "bay"

In my humble opinion, one needs to fish a lake a good 5 to 10 times within a year or two to figure it out... at least..

Edited by swordfish

?????????????

Is overnight parking still verboten? I never fished Head much but some of the great lakes further upstream (either towards Cranberry or Fishog). With the new Provincial Park up there it seems silly not to have any access.

Is overnight parking still verboten? I never fished Head much but some of the great lakes further upstream (either towards Cranberry or Fishog). With the new Provincial Park up there it seems silly not to have any access.

Isn't Cranberry a "private" lake with limited access?

PM sent

Anyone planing on hitting this lake should take real care. Ive fished this lake for two seasons and I still lost a prop on it last week.

Not worse than many other lakes in Ontario.. Try fishing Honey Harbour/Port severen... widow-maker waters...

Guest Johnny Bass

Its funny how your the only one that claims how great head lake is but yet I have not heard ONE report from you from head lake, while every other report states they have been having a hard time. Just on this thread alone, at least 3 people have said that fishing was tough but smallies were easy. Just like I stated.

Big pike in the winter on cooks bay? What are you taking about????lol

Blah blah blah blah blah blah, yet I dont see ANY reports from head with all the fish you claim. I dont get it? Why do you chime in whenever head lake is mentioned? Do you have property there for sale or something??LMAO!!!

I've caught some decent Musky(46) in the fall like I said, but to say how easy the fishing is? Yet three guys have just chimed in and said it was tough. I guess were not all professional trollers like you.lol

yup. we were there at some horrible hours last week and had the opp visit us. Nice guy, let us stick around. Got a couple of muskies but no size (35 inches and 37 inches).

One of the more encouraging posts in this thread :Gonefishing:

Have to try there soon and see what happens.

One of the more encouraging posts in this thread :Gonefishing:

Have to try there soon and see what happens.

All of the lakes SURROUNDING Head have produced for me, so I wouldn't be surprised if it had some decent fish in it. Then again I've only used Head Lk. as an access to get to some superb bass fishing and never actually fished it proper. It still sucks about no overnight parking, I spent a few summers running around the area with a canoe when it was Crown Land but as soon as it becomes a Provincial Park all possible public access to the place becomes closed. Yay for Canuckistan.

Cranberry Lk. NW of Head, yes it's surrounded by private parcels, however if you have the motivation to paddle, portage & drag a canoe to the adjacent feeder lakes it is possible to legally fish. Being young, stupid and having a desire to blatantly exercise your right to free water passage (while you still have it) helps a ton. Bass fishing is pretty decent.