trailer wheel bearings

lew

I'm gonna replace the wheel bearings and seals on my boat trailer this spring.

I have bearing buddies and their classed as 1.98" in diameter.

Will the wheel bearings also be marked as 1.98" or are they sized differently ??

Thanks Paul, I'm gonna buy the entire kit for each side, probably cheaper that way.

My trailer is up north and about 20 miles from the store, so I'll need to know the size before I head up.

Lew don`t know how you register trailers up there, you might get the model number off the registration and call the mfg for sizes? Pretty sure the bearing buddy size and the bearing size are different, but it might give them a clue at a parts store. Save a set of the old ones and you will have the info for next time?

1.980" axle dia. Might be worth the effort t ogo to a real bearing shop like Canadian Bearing or similar and ask for some real NorthAm or European bearing, Timken, SKS, some things are acceptable in life and will get you from A-B, but cheap bearings don't make me feel fuzzy. :whistling:

Hello Lew. When you do the job have some emery cloth to clean up the surface where the seal rides on the axle. A can of brake cleaner is helpful to clean up axle surfaces as well. Dont forget a couple of clean rags, a punch to knock out the old races and a brass or aluminum drift to install them.

Lew,

you probably already know this but I will say it anyway, just in case(may help a rookie!).

Make sure you tell them you want BOAT bearings. Regular trailer bearings have a single edge seal-BOAT bearings should have 3 or more sealing edges to keep water OUT.

A buddy of mine found out this one the HARD WAY!! He was in the middle of Nowhere(Postal code was EIEIO!)

her is a neat board for lots of "trailer" questions. http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewforum;fid=22

FT