June 2010 trout Hayday!!

fish_finder

I finally had a few minutes since getting back to sort through some of the pictures I had from last week. It was an excellent week, even though it rained just about every day. Luckily, while all of the rivers in the area were blown big time, the river we always fish was high, but clear. There was a bit of a stain to the water, but just enough to turn on some of the bigger fish out there.

A small branch of the river:

P6050115.JPG

Lots of hatches were going on, and I did hit a couple of good spinnerfalls earlier in the week before it cooled off too much.

The main bugs out and about were these dudes:

P5290017.JPG

P5290015.JPG

P6010064.JPG

P5300034.JPG

P5300037.JPG

P5310042.JPG

P6010044.JPG

And then there were the feesh! There were lots of them!

P5300020.JPG

P5300024.JPG

P5310038.JPG

P6010046.JPG

P6010047.JPG

P6010052.JPG

P6010053.JPG

P6010055.JPG

P6010056.JPG

P6020092.JPG

P6030098.JPG

P6030105.JPG

P6030106.JPG

P6030107.JPG

P6030110.JPG

P6030112.JPG

Didn't manage to hit the green drake hatch this season, but we'll see what the next couple of weeks brings.

Probably the best moment I had out there came on the tuesday evening. I had been out for a few hours late afternoon and caught a few decent fish. I had just about hiked back to camp when a boil in the river caught my eye, so I stopped and watched for a few minutes. About 5 minutes later or so, another boil in the same spot. This time I saw what he was eating.

P6010064.JPG

He was grabbing big stoneflys as they were bouncing and skittering on the surface dislodging their eggsacs. They're well over an inch long to give some perspective to their size. And their double wings make them look even bigger in flight.

Anyways, I watched for a while longer and figured he'd be there when I came back later. So I headed back to camp, had a couple of beers and probably a scotch or two while I tied up some of these.

P6010069.JPG

I walked back to that same spot....which was only about a 200 foot walk from the site and watched again. Sure enough, he rose again. I cast about 25 or 30 feet to him, twitch the stimulator carefully as it comes right down his feeding lane and BOOM! There were a number of very interesting words spoken to myself as I chased the bugger downstream. He had me into my backing in about 10 seconds. After a long battle, you wouldn't believe what happened!!

I Landed him!

Definitely my biggest resident brown to date on the fly! (I can't really count the fish in the grand as accomplishments)

P6010075.JPG

I don't like having fish out of the water, but I wanted a shot of this dude!

P6010078.JPG

P6010079.JPG

P6010080.JPG

It was a great week that ended with the Midwestern Ontario Sportsmans Show in walkerton.

Edited by fish_finder

!!

I Landed him!

Definitely my biggest resident brown to date on the fly! (I can't really count the fish in the grand as accomplishments)

P6010075.JPG

Good for you over hyped fish farm

Well....you know EXACTLY what I'm saying. That sewer is in my front yard, and I fish it about 3 times a year. Honestly, those 12 inch fish fight like the 22s out of the sewer!!

Thanks for sharing your accomplishment with us! That's an amazing fish and even more impressive that it was taken on a dry! Did you happen to get a measurement on him? I'm guessing 21" or so?

20 1/4 to be exact. I had to measure him as its pretty hard to find natural fish that large.

My wife says she heard me moaning as it dragged me downstream...I think she was jealous....

O.K.

Now I have no choice but to finally get my first fly set up. Very inspiring!

Wicked report.

Buddy.......do it.

I hear so many people say how "elusive" "elitist" whatever....

It aint that hard at all. Of course, I started when I was about 5, but even still, if you can fish, you can fish on the fly.