boat trailer

Hawg Hunter

You are going to need declarations of ownership signed in front of a Notary.. from HIM !

..or the easier method, with licence plate in hand, get him to go to the licence bureau and get a new ownership. Then you can go in with that one and the bill of sale and transfer it.

Edited by irishfield

hey all bought a northlander trailer and old lad could not find ownership,so my ? to you all is how do i transfer it????

Hawg Hunter

Had the same thing when I bought my boat last fall...the guy was selling it for his dad and they had no idea where the ownership for the trailer was, he'd had the boat for many, many years and that piece of paper was long gone. ***disclaimer I dunno what the proper way to do this is*** but he went down to the MTO and stated that he had a home built trailer and got a permit and then signed it over. I could've done it myself, apparently, and avoided paying tax on the value of the trailer but I didn't want my name on the claim that it was home built. Might be an option for you.

hey all bought a northlander trailer and old lad could not find ownership,so my ? to you all is how do i transfer it????

Hawg Hunter

go in to the mto tell them that you took 2 trailers and made one out of them you did the work yourself

or tell them its home made and they will give you a plate and ownerships for it

good luck

go in to the mto tell them that you took 2 trailers and made one out of them you did the work yourself

or tell them its home made and they will give you a plate and ownerships for it

good luck

Yip just tell them you made it!

:whistling: Ya, well if you're going to do as the platoon of wise guys above, at least go to the effort of removing the tag on the tongue or file off the old numbers if they were stamped in, cause then if you get pulled over and the fuzz compares VIN/RIN on the paper to the trailer, your rearward "O" ring might not pucker as much.

If the guy truly owned it... then it's as easy as my post above! My father-in-law loses the original ownerships for all the sleds about every second year... no big deal.. go in with your RIN number and get new ones from the licence bureau. Same deal on this trailer... have him just go in and get a new ownership. Then get him to sign it over.. use your bill of sale and have it transfered to you. No need to lie.. or find out you have bought stolen property!

If the trailer was originally registered under the seller and it's just a matter of him losing the ownership paper, it's easiest just to have him go and get a replacement, then sign the sale portion of it and give it to you. MTO would have a record of it if it was actually registered to him and can give him a replacement copy with proof of ID.