Transome Saver

LucG

I'm very new to running/trailering a boat. This weekend while I had my new toy out on the road, I found myself very nervous going over evey bump and pot hole. I know guys with bigger motors use transome savers and I was wondering if it would be a good investment for my boat? Or am I being over cautious? If so, what do these things go for?

honda30.jpg

My buddy has one on his boat...he has a 25Merc..on a 16 footer...ease of mind if anything else...but will always save you headaches of worrying and you are just being proactive rather than reactive.

Check your owners manual and see what it says regarding a transom saver. I suspect as long as you have good clearance on your trailer you're okay, but if you decide to put one on, here's one to look at. The m-ywedge is the one I use on my 200HP Verado. It's really simple and while some will say it doesn't protect the transom, I haven't had any issues and it definitely protects the hydraulic trim.

Its always a good idea to support the weight of the motor, specially havier 4 stks

I can't see from the picture of your rig but transom savers need a hook up point on your trailer below the transom, do you have a cross member running the width of you trailer at the back? if you have a cross member, measure the distance(roughly)from there to your motor in tilted up (3/4 way) position, transom savers come in different legths but are adjustable within 6-10",

If you do decide to buy a transom saver, go with one which keeps you motor straight.

like this type with "Bolt On" bracket: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10205180____SearchResults

Edited by stonefish

Good thread Luc, I've been wondering what I could do to secure the motor during transport. I wasn't even thinking about the stress on the transom I was just worried about the fact that my OB has no way to lock it in place so it doesn't swing during turns.

The general idea is to transfer weight of the motor fromt he transom to the trailer frame directly. If you have a smaller motor and can travel with it in the down position, its not a big deal. If you have a heavier motor or one that needs to be tilted up or if you travel nasty back roads, it is money well spent.

The motor bouncing puts unusual stresses on the transom which can twist and bugger things up.