Dead smelt wash up across Lake Erie

CHATHAM -- The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources is investigating a huge die-off of rainbow smelt along much of the Lake Erie shoreline.

Andy Cook, a ministry biologist in Wheatley, said samples have been sent to an unspecified university for testing.

Cook said dead smelt also have washed up on the lake shoreline in both New York and Ohio.

He said storms and strong winds during the weekend of May 8 may have contributed to the die-off.

"We've seen it before in the 1960s and 1990s,'' he said.

Cook said another possibility is stress associated with the spring spawning process.

Smelt are an abundant species in Lake Erie. Last year, Ontario commercial fishers harvested more than eight million pounds.

"They are an important forage fish for top predators such as walleye,'' Cook said.

He recommends people wear gloves when disposing of the fish along the beach and taking the dead fish to a secure landfill site.

"It's a lot of work, but it needs to be done."

Cook said large numbers of dead smelt were first reported May 13 east of Port Burwell.

The following day there were similar reports from Point Pelee eastward along the lakeshore.

"It appears to have been a lake-wide die-off,'' he said.

Cook said there was a huge hatch of smelt in 2008 and many of the dead smelt appear to be in the two-year-old range.

Chatham Daily News

i read alot more into this story then just a die off ...especially when they are concerned to the public health about wearing protection and removing them to a secured landfill....

Question???? are we or the yanks drillling for oil on the lake????

possibly a tanker off loading accident???

Edited by Twocoda

i read alot more into this story then just a die off ...especially when they are concerned to the public health about wearing protection and removing them to a secured landfill....

Question???? are we or the yanks drillling for oil on the lake????

possibly a tanker off loading accident???

The most obvious reason for protection when handling dead fish.... SALMONELLA. :stretcher:

I don't know how big a deal it is. There used to be big die offs every spring after the spawn. I remember the beaches in and around Toronto, Mississauga and Oakville being covered with them in the good old days.

There could be an issue but I wouldn't panic until the tests are in.

Then by all means, panic away. :lol:

I know you were making a "humourous" comment, but the U.S does not have any drilling sites on L. Erie, but Canada does allow them.

we do have rigs on Erie but i always thought they were just for unloading tankers...

in lieu of the shenanigans going on in the gulf of Mexico i was trying to make a feeble attempt at humour ( not very successfully i might add)

What i should have said ...is BP working on Erie now...

Twocoda, a link in regards to Erie.

L. Erie Rigs

another

Yes these are not oil rigs, but where there's gas there's oil. At least so far we have been lucky and have had no incidents in regards, at least as we have been allowed to know. :dunno: Can you imagine the blame Canada would be facing if something was to happen on Erie!

Any fish die off is newsworthy, hopefully it was a natural occurrence with these smelt such as water temp change.

Back in the late or early 90's I was fishing the Southtown Walleye Tournament and went west out of Dunkirk......found a LOT of dead smelt on the surface over 90 FOW.....we trolled stick baits that went down only 10 - 15 feet behind the boat because we couldn't get them hooked up to the planer board mast because by the time we had 100 feet of line played out a walleye was already on....BEST walleye fishing I had ever experienced in shear numbers but no fish over 6 lbs.

BTW fish die offs in Lake Erie is normal for VARIOUS reasons.

Bob

He had doggie breathe :whistling:

LOL!...seriously tho, I was there again today and noticed lots fish washed up,Carp, Bass, Smelt,I think Gobies too.I couldn't believe the number of Turkey Vultures there for the free meal! Starting to concern me a bit. The water is warmer than usual for this time of year and the algae is very thick and smelly in places. I think this can't be a good thing?

LOL!...seriously tho, I was there again today and noticed lots fish washed up,Carp, Bass, Smelt,I think Gobies too.I couldn't believe the number of Turkey Vultures there for the free meal! Starting to concern me a bit. The water is warmer than usual for this time of year and the algae is very thick and smelly in places. I think this can't be a good thing?

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/04/1071049/lake-erie-fish-deaths-called-natural.html

Not unusual and i would suspect we will see another die off soon. With the lakes increasing in temp so fast, thermal shock will take many of them if we get a storm strong enough to roll up the colder waters. Alewife fall victim to this almost every year.

Ya, my dog was eating these little fellas before I noticed and I don't have to tell you guys what happened the next day...LOL!!!!

Wow that beach looks gorgeous, where is that on erie ? is it around maitland ?