Musky opener

mistaredone

Haven't seen nearly as many pre musky season posts as years past so I thought I'd start one.

My buddy and I did some walleye fishing on Monday on our reg kawartha musky lake to scout it out for satuday. Weeds are up and full and water temps in the low 70's. Our traditional opener tactics will be out the window making way for summer tactics of big and fast.

Anyone trying new baits this year? Trying new tactics?

This year for the first time I wanna try speed trolling big blades over heavy cover and giant tubes on the niagra.

Anything musky please post.

Going for my first musky ever this weekend also on the kawarthas! Starting with musky inline bucktails and spinnerbaits. Not specifically looking for giant fish, just want to get that first one under my belt.

Been looking forward to this weekend for months, as I specifically booked Sunday off work. Hoping for a birthday present with long sharp teeth, :lol:

I'll be out fishing the Kawarthas this weekend. Can't wait either! This week seems awfully long at work, but I'm sure I'll get through it.

I find that big blades (Cowgirls, Esox Cobras, Willowbeasts, etc.) don't stay in the water past about 3.5 mph, however, that seems to be fast enough to turn fish.

As for new baits to try, I've been waiting all winter to try the Tyrant jerkbait, it looks pretty awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs.

Good luck fellas!

I too am really pumped up for the Musky opener this year. In previous years all of my Musky have been landed from shore so finally having a boat should really open up alot more spots. I'm really more of a casting type of guy but I'm looking forward to trying my hand at trolling some of the super sized baits I've picked up over the past couple of years (13 inch believer types). I'm eager to try out some of the Double 10's this year too, although I think for the opener I'll probably start off with more modest sized bucktails, spinnerbaits and swimbaits. I've got topwater baits I'm anxious to try out too but really don't know if early June is a good time for them. I plan on hitting my shore spots bright and early then heading out in the boat.

I want to get out for the opener too, I was out last week fishing for walleye on Scugog and I caught my biggest musky to date.

It was a 40" fish, it fought really well, jumped twice, and I wasnt prepared for a musky (I didnt even have a net) I got it to the boat, got the hook out and revived it, unfortunately I didnt have a camera, but that just means that I have to catch a bigger musky next time!

I caught it on a small bucktail jig, rip jigging in the weeds, and I was surprised that I got it in without a leader!

I also have been looking forward to this weekend. Good luck to all and post on Monday!

Tactics will be simple moon rise /fall - tossing barramundi lures - has worked a treat - spring early summer - smaller baits. We will be out at 1:48 Am hopefully I get the first in season musky!

If this fails will slug it out until we get one Saturday - maybe a very long night morning.

New lures I modified some of my sofy plastics in the winter and made some lures using pieces of others like a train wreck. currently smallest about 8 inches largets over 25 - not sure but think the decent fish have seen it all before - time to try something different. Most likely will fish these later in season.

If all else fails I look forward to everyones pictures Monday. All i can say if you dont have a golden bomber your not barra fishing - 30 plus fish last season

Hey guys,

I would be throwing big baits if I were you. With this unseasonably warm weather we've been having, the muskies I'm sure have already established thier summer home ranges.

I won't be throwing anything smaller than doulbe 10's, or any hardbait less than 10". I'll prolly be throwing the double 13's and 14" Jakes as much as my shoulder will allow.

Happy muskie hunting!

Well go figure its the night before opener and I along with many others cant sleep we will be hitting LSC in hopes of getting my first Opening day musky so far the last 5 years I have been skunked here to getting a fatty in the net tomorrow maybe I should also head out for the 1 am shift.

For baits I will be running 6 1/4" woodies bright colors early and depending on the weather will switch to some darker ones or browns later. Will also be running my new HandlebarZ flashabou in hopes of getting a big girl to bite I will also have the 10" jakes and a few other big baits at the ready if the girls dont want to move yet.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow time to try and sleep again.

1stski2010.jpg

I went 2 for 3 at Sturgeon lake today with my brother Joonmoon in the kayaks.

musky48.jpg

This was the longest at 32".

musky49.jpg

This little twister was crazy. I'm more afraid of injury from the little ones as they are harder to handle.

joonyak.jpg

Joonmoon at 6'4" was a tight fit in my old 9'6" kayak. He had some follows but no takers. All fish were hooked on black and gold bucktails.

Edited by jediangler