Kawarthas Walleye Opener

mbac31

Well after 4 people dropping out of our 17 year running Walleye opener adventure me and another board member JeffW decided to take a crack at them Walleye on Balsam. I was going anyways rain or shine. We got a ton of fish but had to work for them including a mess of larger Pike. Never got alot of Pics as the weather only allowed us to have about a 1/2 hour of somewhat clear skies and that was it. We got Snow, sleet,hail,relentless amounts of Rain and Wind. This was the first time I had ever had to take my time coming across Balsam not on Plane due to the wind. All in All we still had a blast fishing. Would never miss an opener. We never got a ton of pics as I'm still awaiting for my Camera waterproof case, I dont want to ruin a $2000 Camera.

canonpics366-1.jpg

canonpics368.jpg

JeffW

canonpics364.jpg

One of the secret weaopns that day

canonpics377.jpg

canonpics361.jpg

Gotta give props to G Loomis for their new Deep-Flex line of rods. Best crankbait rod I have ever owned. Look at that Parabolic arch. You couldnt throw a fish if you tried of these sticks.

canonpics384.jpg

canonpics367.jpg

You can see the temps and lack of weed growth for this time of year. I thought there would be more growth. Sadly where ever we found nice green weeds, there wer Walleye but also them darn Pike as well. I would suggest to everyone to take them home for Tablefare.

canonpics362.jpg

Should be a good after opener this coming weekend.

Hats off to you for braving the weather...

I only managed about 10 casts off the dock all weekend, with nothing but an OOS bass to show for it.

Good for you braving that weather and nice fish!!

What is that tail spin lure you have oon that one rod?

I was out after trout in the Haliburtons and it snowed the whole weekend!

Also on your new Lowrance, is that how weeds appear on the bottom with the new colour units?

Edited by bucktail

The lure in question is a "NORIES" In The Bait Series lure. Probally one of the best Walleye baits I have ever run in cold weather. When the temp goes down this bait shines even better. The other is the Grant Koppers Perch bait. I dont leave home for Walleye without these. I dont post numbers of fish anymore for the sake of not starting arguments but we did really well. One of my best openers yet beleive it or not. Yes I'm sponsored by Nories but the reason for this is there baits just plain and simple catch fish. I do not ever suggest a product if it does not catch fish. These are also deadly Laker baits.

The new HDS systems to be honest have been the hardest units for me to get adjusted to. The structure you se in the screen is rocks and sand, I was just showing the lack of weeds. I'm planning on doing a few screen shots of the units soon to post a report on how they interpet different structure. Trust me when I say that these units are the Kats Ass of electronics bar none. I love these and the clarity of them are amazing. They show bottom structure like never before. The new Structure Scan is just out of this world.

This coming weekend I will be in Haliburtons chasing Walleye and Trout. Maybe get into some nice Pike as well. I'm anxious at how these units will show in those deep Tanic style lakes. Should be a fun weekend. I hear the water is still low and that means shallow lakers.

Edited by smalliefisher

Great job on the eyes Marv. We braved the conditions as well. 3.5 hours of high wind and rain was all I could handle. lots of OOS ers and a broken trailer tire to show for our efforts.

Hey bud,

That suks. We had a ton of OOS Bass as well. Trailer problems are not fun at all. Last year I had 2 broken tires on opener and a damaged spindle. I now carry more trailer stuff than I do gear. Lol.

great job, I made it about 2 hrs saturday morning got a few fish, but when wet, cold and getting blown around and you can see your house from the boat that has a hot shower, coffee and a running pellet stove it didn't take long to pull the chute.

as for the weed growth it's slow for sure found some beds 7-9 ft just starting to take off another week or two should be awesome