Mepps Agila

Drock6687

The trout streem that I fish is about 90% sinble barbless hooks only. I have contacted mepps and they told me that everyone agila is available single hooks but I will need to special order them from my local retailer... I went in today to talk to them and they said they would order them for me but with a min order of 50. I dont want 50 right now plus I want a couple different colours so does anyone know where i can get #1 and #2 agilias in a single hook? thanks for the help!

The trout streem that I fish is about 90% sinble barbless hooks only. I have contacted mepps and they told me that everyone agila is available single hooks but I will need to special order them from my local retailer... I went in today to talk to them and they said they would order them for me but with a min order of 50. I dont want 50 right now plus I want a couple different colours so does anyone know where i can get #1 and #2 agilias in a single hook? thanks for the help!

Many tackle shops will have siwash hooks that can be added easily to lures. If you are in a bind you could add single hooks you have on hand already... and don't forget to pinch the barb right down.

Many tackle shops will have siwash hooks that can be added easily to lures. If you are in a bind you could add single hooks you have on hand already... and don't forget to pinch the barb right down.

How would I add a single hook myself? The trebble hook seems to be in there pritty good..

How would I add a single hook myself? The trebble hook seems to be in there pritty good..

For single hooks, you'd probably need to add a small split ring onto the spinner.

For Siwash hooks Take a pair of wire cutters and snip the treble hook off...With siwash hooks, they generally come with eyes that are opened so you can put them onto a split ring or the wire bends of a spinner...Once on, you take a pair of needle-nose pliers and crimp the eye closed. Problem is most stores don't carry very small siwash hooks...I'm having a tough time finding siwash hooks smaller than size 2 anywhere.

If you can find Mepps Comet spinners, you can twist the brass body to remove and replace the hook. They're quite similar to the Mepps Aglia except you can remove/replace the hook without cutting or adding split rings. The blade on the Mepps Comet is as long as the blade on the same size Aglia...Just slightly more narrow. The body on the comet is slightly thicker than that of the Aglia to accommodate the hook/change system.

Aglia on top...Comet on bottom

P1020525.jpg

Comet hook change system

P1020529.jpg

Edited by MJL

While it may be better from a release standpoint to use a single pointed, barbless hook is not a treble a single hook as of a fairly recent reg change ? A treble with all the barbs pinched or removed would meet the single barbless criteria if I am not mistaken. I have seen single siwash take out the eye of many smaller fish lake fishing.

In this year's edition of the regs, there are some specific exceptions that have been clarified. For example, on parts of the Upper Credit, it now says "one single-pointed barbless hook" instead of "single barbless hook.". So, the barbless treble loophole has now been closed in those instances.

In this year's edition of the regs, there are some specific exceptions that have been clarified. For example, on parts of the Upper Credit, it now says "one single-pointed barbless hook" instead of "single barbless hook.". So, the barbless treble loophole has now been closed in those instances.

You're right, must be a very recent change. Seems the Credit is that way now and the Grand you still can use a barbless treble in the restricted areas. thanks

Riverwood Tackle makes a #1 and 2 spinner with both a single and treble hook design.

The # 1's single hook concept was talor made for the single hook regulations that are in place.

Check them out at Gagnon's in the East or First Choice/ Natural sports in the West.

Please practice Catch and Release whenever possible.

Happy fishing.

IMG_4266_2-1.jpg

Riverwood Tackle makes a #1 and 2 spinner with both a single and treble hook design.

The # 1's single hook concept was talor made for the single hook regulations that are in place.

Check them out at Gagnon's in the East or First Choice/ Natural sports in the West.

Please practice Catch and Release whenever possible.

Happy fishing.

Picked up a few of the Riverwood spinners this spring…Love the fact that they don’t tend to rise up in the water column on the retrieve due to the heavier body – Great spinners for wide, deep pools or classic smooth-water runs with a slightly faster pace to them…I’m a sucker for French blades too. Now if only I could find them with black blades as well as ones in silver in size 0 *cough, cough* :D

I get a little over stimulated when I talk about spinners… :thumbsup_anim:

Sometimes we make thing more difficult than they need to be eh? That's a great answer right there.

Jim

no it's not. a treble with points lopped off so it is left with just a single hook will be incredibly weak it will bend/or break. just look at the gauge of wire.

do it right, cut off the treble and attach a single siwash -- they are strong.

You can just cut two barbs off the treble hook and make it into a single hook.

You would think it would be that easy however I have always lost more fish then landed using this approach.

My hooking/landing ratio increased ten fold with the larger single hook design.

Cheers.

snip the treble off...add single siwash....or add a tiny split ring and whatever hook you want

Also, i've started in the past few years making my own spinners....easy, fun and cheap and you can customize body and blades to match specific conditions, ie: heavy body, small blade, I've never found any store bought ones like that, I made a batch of them and perfect for slow rolling through deep pools...

I picked up a bunch of supplies at the show for under 20 bucks and I ended up making 30 spinners out of it, various bodies and blade sizes....and they caught fish just like a mepps or a panther martin did...