Made a Trip to The Humane Society - NF

Last night's thunderstorms made the river unavailable and after killing 45 minutes at a fishing shop I decided to take the girlfriend and head by the KW Humane Society.

I must say that the people at the KW Humane Society are doing great things. They have over 500 volunteers and adopt about 1500 animals annually.

Since fisherman and dogs seem to go hand and hand, the point of this post is that anyone who is looking for a dog should strongly consider the KW Humane Society (or your local humane society). This was my first trip and I was mind blown. They have dogs ranging from most breeds and ages. They had a 10 month old lab puppy. In the last 4 months they've had 4 huskies under the age of 4. They have rooms and a dog park where you can take the animals out privately and hang out with them for awhile. Even if you're just bored on a rainy day, it is a positive thing to go in, take the kids (that comes with a warning label though - they'll want them all), and spend some time with the animals there.

A dog person by nature, my dogs and my family dogs have always come from breeders. I think that trend will stop for me now. These dogs are just like any other, and with a little bit of training they'll respond like any other.

Most of the humane society's animals are Surrenders (where people give the animal up for X reason) or Strays (animals found wandering aimlessly). Most of their animals have not been abused. They vaccinate/neuter/spay/medicate/assess all animals that come through their doors.

They survive off donations. They receive no government funding.

I just thought I would share my experience and remind people that the place exists.

Ryan

www.kwhumane.com

Great post Ryan! Lots of dog lovers on this board.

I personally feel that some of the mixed breeds are the best dogs. I know this to be the case with our "Bubba"! He has been great and was basically a farm pup that was born in the flower beds around the farm house. Given the chance, I would go your route when the time comes.

Right on, its true good of you to remind people of the good work most of these humane society's do.

I'm sure with all the press related to the Toronto Humane Society some people may have been soured on all.

Hopefully not but sometimes those things have a negative impact on related organizations.

Many of us seniors would adopt a pet in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the cost of veterinary services...We can become foster parents and all costs are covered but it is too hard to have to give them up when they get adopted...even the cost of pet insurance can be prohibitive on a fixed pension...sad.gif

Both my GF & I have adopted dogs from OSPCA,around here they are called Rescue North,my current dog was abandoned at a few weeks of age in a remote First Nations land fill,winter before last.She & 1 male survived out of the litter because a reserve cop noticed them in the dump.

When I got her she was frost bitten & starving.She has turned out to be a great companion.

My GF adopted her guy about 6 yrs ago,apparently he was a stray wandering the streets.

Best dog she ever had.

Never discount a dog from an animal rescue shelter,I realize they may not be Labs,Goldens or all that trendy,but they can & do make very good family members.

Both my GF & I have adopted dogs from OSPCA,around here they are called Rescue North,my current dog was abandoned at a few weeks of age in a remote First Nations land fill,winter before last.She & 1 male survived out of the litter because a reserve cop noticed them in the dump.

When I got her she was frost bitten & starving.She has turned out to be a great companion.

My GF adopted her guy about 6 yrs ago,apparently he was a stray wandering the streets.

Best dog she ever had.

Never discount a dog from an animal rescue shelter,I realize they may not be Labs,Goldens or all that trendy,but they can & do make very good family members.

Hey Blue, thanks for the post!

I wasn't implying that people should only want labs, huskies etc. Those just tend to be the most popular breeds and I have a feeling that many people think that these dogs aren't abused/available at places like Humane Societies. Most dogs are good-spirited and great companions by nature. I'm very happy to hear that you and your girlfriend actively take part in dog adoption. It sounds like they had a tough go before you got them. Perhaps you should write the shelter and they can post your testimonial for others to read.

For curiosity sake, what is the difference between a humane society, an animal shelter, and a rescue north? Or are they generally all the same concept?

Ryan

Hey Blue, thanks for the post!

I wasn't implying that people should only want labs, huskies etc.

I didn't mean you were implying anything,BassMan,sorry if you took my comments that way.I was referring to the dog owners who believe they have to have a special registered breed of dog & all others are (only mutts)

For curiosity sake, what is the difference between a humane society, an animal shelter, and a rescue north? Or are they generally all the same concept?

Ryan

I believe they are pretty much the same concept

Edited by Blue Lk

My Lucky came from the Hamilton shelter. Emaciated, distressed and abused, we took to each other the moment we set eyes on each other. When I first took her out of the cage she literally clung to me. Being some 15 years old now, I'd have to say we were both kinda lucky.

DSCN2990.jpg

All any dog wants, like any other orphan, is a chance to be loved.

Edited by bigugli

My Lucky came from the Hamilton shelter. Emaciated, distressed and abused, we took to each other the moment we set eyes on each other. When I first took her out of the cage she literally clung to me. Being some 15 years old now, I'd have to say we were both kinda lucky.

DSCN2990.jpg

All any dog wants, like any other orphan, is a chance to be loved.

Great story bigugli . . . how old was she when you got her? It's good to hear that people on these boards have only had good experiences with the Humane Societies.

Bear was adopted from the Peterborough Humane Society as a pup. They had his mother and her whole litter.

That was almost 13 years ago, he's been a great dog. There's something to be said for mixed breeds. He's a shepherd mixed with "something big":

2006_0409Image0057.JPG

My next dog will probably be a humane society adoption as well.

Great story bigugli . . . how old was she when you got her? It's good to hear that people on these boards have only had good experiences with the Humane Societies.

Best guesstimate my vet friend gave, was that she was 5 when I adopted her.

I'm also lucky in my vet. A real country vet with down to earth common sense. (Will also barter services for fillets on occasion. ;)

Bear was adopted from the Peterborough Humane Society as a pup. They had his mother and her whole litter.

That was almost 13 years ago, he's been a great dog. There's something to be said for mixed breeds. He's a shepherd mixed with "something big":

My next dog will probably be a humane society adoption as well.

My buddy has a dog that looks similar to your "Bear." The dog, Wiley, is huge and he's just mixed with Shepard and Border Collie. He has the same white patch of hair on his chest that your dog does. By Huge, I mean as wide as a smart car, and about 125 pounds.

Bear seems to have the features of a lab in his head shape and ears though. My money would be Shepard bred with Lab mix.

It's good to hear that you've enjoyed the system and will use it again. I'm really really really looking forward to the time that I adopt a dog there.

Cheers

24076113065945384532100.jpg

thats my pup, he is a shepard/lab and something big, 150lbs, he's a bit lame right now, hurt himself a couple days ago and I hope its nothing serious. The only thing i disliked about the adoption process was the 4 page questionnaire i had to fill out and the cost, for a dog that nobody wanted he cost me close to $300 to adopt, i think that included the neutering which i was forced to get done as well. I didn't really expect that and i know they need to raise money somehow but rescuing a dog and paying so much for the privilege of doing so was a suprise.

thats my pup, he is a shepard/lab and something big, 150lbs, he's a bit lame right now, hurt himself a couple days ago and I hope its nothing serious. The only thing i disliked about the adoption process was the 4 page questionnaire i had to fill out and the cost, for a dog that nobody wanted he cost me close to $300 to adopt, i think that included the neutering which i was forced to get done as well. I didn't really expect that and i know they need to raise money somehow but rescuing a dog and paying so much for the privilege of doing so was a suprise.

Was the neutering something done upon adoption or was it done before you ever even met the dog and then you had to pay for it on adoption? I wasn't aware of fees, though I was aware of a questionarre. The form at the KW Humane Society is just a single-sided page and it mentioned nothing about fees/finances. Upon a free adoption I would most certainly donate at least $100 for the service I would imagine. I wonder if you have to pay for all previous vaccine shots while in their care upon adoption as well. I wouldn't imagine you'd have to, but I guess Humane societies can't make ends meet on caring hearts alone.

The vet bill is part of that cost.Hamilton charged me $325 for Lucky. I also dislike the questionnaire. I do know that some humane societies will descriminate against hunters. The Lincoln Humane society, which had close ties to the Toronto H.S., has specifically declined membership and refused adoption to those who are active members of local hunting and fishing clubs.

Edited by bigugli

The vet bill is part of that cost.Hamilton charged me $325 for Lucky. I also dislike the questionnaire. I do know that some humane societies will descriminate against hunters. The Lincoln Humane society, which had close ties to the Toronto H.S., has specifically declined membership and refused adoption to those who are active members of local hunting and fishing clubs.

That is petty but for some reason im not surprised, but i must say the first year with my dog was a bit rough as he had never had any training and was almost 1 yr when we got him, but now i couldn't imagine having a better dog, I would definitely do it again.

I just had my 2 dogs in for their yearly maintainance:

heartworm ,flea controlx2

examinations x2

tick collar x2

blood work x1

vaccinations x2

You DONT want to know the bottom line....LOL! $300 to adopt is is not bad.

If you adopt,the pet will already be be altered( This costs between $200 and $600 depending on age and size of pet.) You should only need flea control when you get it and everything else is up to date for a year!

Rescues and Humane Societies charge what they do, not only to keep people from adopting on a whim, but to help recover the cost of getting these animals up to date with their health.

My dogs are not rescues but ARE dogs that couldn't be placed by the breeder because of considered flaws.

Nothing at all wrong with buying and keeping your favorite breed( as long as your careful not to support a puppy mill), but I think adoption is wonderful and congratulations to anybody who gets a pet this way! :worthy:

My girlfriend and I were there again today and took a beautiful 1 year old Lab/Sheppard mix out for a walk for about an hour. It was another good experience.

Anyone can go and take a dog out for a walk on the premises. They have trails out back and it backs onto the grand river. Their property is gorgeous and perfect for dog-walking. I asked them if we could come often and take dogs out and the staff member said "you can come everyday if you want, that would be great!"

We plan on volunteering and lending whatever time we have to help out around the society. I think next time I go that I'll be going with some bags of pet food and some dollar store toys.

It is truly great to see so many people on here with such good stories of success from various animal shelter organizations. Keep it up and keep the good stories coming! :clapping:

I see a trend developing for me here - bad weather = blown rivers = trip to the humane society. Not a bad equation either way.

I have a new fishing partner for the summer. Was talking to my neighbours across the street a few weeks ago and asked them what they are going to do with there dog. They are both going to Afghanistan for 7 mths. They were going to put him in a kennel. I thought about it for a couple of days and just could not see him there for that long of a time. So I volunteered to take him while they are away. Needless to say they were ecstatic. Hes a wonerful dog, but a handful. One year old purebred Siberian Husky. This breed is definitely not for everyone. Thank god I have lots of experience with these guys. I have had two Malamutes and one Siberian over the years. He has the energy of a chainsaw at w.o.t. but is a social butterfly. I run him everyday in the bush on my mountain bike, so it gets me out too for some exercise. An interesting thing happened last week while walking him. I met this interesting lady walking her dog and we got a talking, shes a dog lover and single as well, good looking and very pleasent. We agreed to meet this week and go for a coffee. Who knows what might happen :whistling: Harley is the dogs name and I'm beginning to think he's a bit of a chick magnet. Nice trade off I would say. It will be interesting to see how he handles his first ride in the bassboat. Will have to take some pics for all you dog lovers.

My wife is now doing Fostering for a group that brings dogs out of Ohio that are getting ready to be put down because no body wants them. Right now we are fostering a Chiwoab (toco bell dog..Spelling sucks tonight to tired.. He is ready for a good loving home.