Home tanning (NF)

jil101ca

I'm wondering if any of the hunters on board tan their own hides. I'm trying to learn how using some rabbit skins. I've followed the directions for alum and also have tried using trappers hide tanning formula but my skins are coming out very stiff even after alot of stretching and working them. I have a deer hide in the freezer but I don't want to touch it until I can do it right. What is the secret to soft hides?

I do all of my own tanning, mostly buckskins but some with hair on. Go to braintan.com they have lots of articles there and you can get their book and video which is great. I use ivory soap and neatsfoot oil to tan the hide and it comes out soft and white. Bill

Thanks Bill parker, ohiofisherman, Bill and Gbaygiant (have that site already book marked) and greencoachdog for your helpfull answers. Everyone else is a smartass lol

I can not find the neetsfoot oil although I haven't been to the trapper's store yet, I'll check there on Monday. I read that I could use any oil but that doesn't seem to be right, my furs are like playing with bacon.

The braintan.com site has alot of info there, thanks for the link. I have seem small reference to ivory soap but there is not much info about that. Could you give me some more details on the hows? Using actual brains is very unappealing to me.

Rabbit skins are very thin so beating them with a stick would turn them into mince meat (although it may work to soften hubby up)

As very chewing on them, I need you to go and show me how that works ;)

Jil101

Neatsfoot oil can be found in farm supply, harness shops, or even Home Hardware. It is used for softening leather and cleaning tack. The Ivory soap (1/4 bar) and the neatsfoot oil are mixed and used for tanning.