french river mouth.

bucktail

Planning trip to the mouth of the French this JUne.

Going to launch at the mouth of the key and work our ways over.

I have been to the bad river mouth area bur not the various bays and inlets from the key to the river,

Planning on camping for 3 days at various spots, I have chip of the area so navigation shoudnt be a problem.

Would appreciate a few tips to maximize the good spots from the multitude of spots the "loook good"

D

My favourite area in Ontario. :)

A couple times we tripped over to the mouth of the French from the Bad.

I've never crossed Georgian bay to get there though.

As Wayne suggested be very, very careful navigating those waters if you're not familiar with them.

I never found the French river delta to be anywhere near as productive as the Bad.

But that doesn't mean much, could've just been me. :)

I would look to spending some time in the Beaverstone Bay area as opposed to the French River delta... or perhaps camping and fishing the Bustard Islands. The Fench River mouth is nothing but a small stream where it enters G-bay. Both of my suggestions put you in sheltered waters, but as mentioned by many above, holy rocks batman!

HH

Guest gbfisher

I would look to spending some time in the Beaverstone Bay area as opposed to the French River delta... or perhaps camping and fishing the Bustard Islands. The Fench River mouth is nothing but a small stream where it enters G-bay. Both of my suggestions put you in sheltered waters, but as mentioned by many above, holy rocks batman!

HH

Which steam would that be?.... :)

Guest gbfisher

Sorry GBfisher, no more steam boats on G-bay!

LOL

HH

that's quite alright...add an "r" to that. Between the st and the eam.... :D

Not sure where Beaverstone Bay is?

I have only been to the western bays from the Bad west.

I am horribly paranoid of rock strikes being way out there. I will be doing most of my running with Ned on rock look out!

Looking mostly for some good pike and bonus muskie action.

Am planning a week so I should be able to cover alot a water ( or not if I find a good area)

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

a lot of hazards for sure. if you use a big boat, you'll be better served staying in the big water. there's some pretty sweet sections of river that are all too tempting but are going to do your boat no favours. save those for the 12 foot boats and 9.9's.

Beaverstone Bay is just west of the French River Delta and probably your best bet for Pike/Lunge in the area. The commercial fishers put their nets out in a area that is know as the "Chicken Islands", for Pickereyes.

As some have mentioned, you can access both via the in-land or big water bay routes.

The Bustards are the group of islands just out in G-Bay a few miles from the French River Delta... with some very good smallie action.

You may also want to consider Georgian Bay Fishing Camp as they are located very close to the French Delta and not far from the Bustards... although I don't know if they offer camp sites.

HH

I sure don't think I would make that trip if you have never did it before. The ones that make that trip are seasoned navigators of that area. I'm guessing it's not too bad if you have a big boat and come across the bay, but heads up as you get close.

However, If you do make it, the channel with the markers that ends in a dead end at Devil's Gate (Door)is a great area for trolling for muskie and walleye. We have caught all of our muskie in that stretch, especially around that shoal in the middle as you head in from the bay. I had my best luck banging crankbiats off the rocks. However, I have seen them in the smaller inlets and channels.

I sure don't think I would make that trip if you have never did it before. The ones that make that trip are seasoned navigators of that area. I'm guessing it's not too bad if you have a big boat and come across the bay, but heads up as you get close.

However, If you do make it, the channel with the markers that ends in a dead end at Devil's Gate (Door)is a great area for trolling for muskie and walleye. We have caught all of our muskie in that stretch, especially around that shoal in the middle as you head in from the bay. I had my best luck banging crankbiats off the rocks. However, I have seen them in the smaller inlets and channels.

Thats a nice muskie, now if I can just find the spot on my charts.....very overwhelming trying to find anything on the charts!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Guest gbfisher

Go fish it. What's a few rocks anyway. I was re-introduced to one last weekend. I think it made a lasting impression this time though. INS and an extra engine make it all worth it. :whistling:

Thats a nice muskie, now if I can just find the spot on my charts.....very overwhelming trying to find anything on the charts!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have the map in front of me, but it is a major entrance and is marked well. I have seen very large cruisers down in there and it is around the few camps that are located near the mouth. I'll look at the map tonight and see if I can offer you any more advice.