Rigging up Rod Holders on my New Boat???

I've been thinking about how to get the new boat set up for rod holders and am having a difficult time trying to decide how/what to do..

I've looked at many options such as the traxtech setup http://www.traxstech.com or this one http://www.trojantackle.ca/index.htm

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips before I start DRILLING :w00t: holes on my boat????....

I took a couple of pictures of the where the rod holders or trax system would need to go...

Thanks,

Steve

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter

the track system would give it a good resale value.

and it looks neat and you can move the holders where ever you want.

good idea

btw:: your link doesnt work !!!!!!!!

Edited by skeeter

Brian is right on the money. Mount them on the carpet using 6-8" towers, depending on the height you need. Try to PM Uncle Buck...he made mine and did a great job.

You'll want a perfectly flat mounting surface for tracks; I'm not sure you'll find that with your gunwales. As much as I love the track systems, I think I would avoid it for your boat.

Brian is right on the money. Mount them on the carpet using 6-8" towers, depending on the height you need. Try to PM Uncle Buck...he made mine and did a great job.

Thanks guys....that was my worry having gunwales that are not totally flat....the downriggers will definately be mounted on the back casting deck....I'll try to see if I have enough room for the towers!!

Thanks guys....that was my worry having gunwales that are not totally flat....the downriggers will definately be mounted on the back casting deck....I'll try to see if I have enough room for the towers!!

Don't rule out tracks, they're a great system. Consider ways of working with them.

Depending on your interior, you could consider an elevated L shape with the tracks flush to the inside of the gunwales using risers. Just a thought.

Dave at Trojen tackle makes some great set ups for sure.

I have also seen some of the work from Goran (Uncle buck) he does great work also either will be able to help you out for sure and it will be built to you boat.

Cant wait to see the finished product.

Always makes me wonder what the manufacture is thinking when they don't consider the boat is for fishing when they're designing it!!

Does the inner edge of the gunnel have a "sport trac" like a Lund? Traxstech sells mounting brackets for that now so you can put on and take off full length tracks without drilling any holes.

If it doesn't.. another option would be to adapt/manufacture similar brackets to hold the tracks up over the gunnel and bolt them into the inner side of the gunnels, but I can't see them in the picture to see if there's any "meat" there to attach to.

As others have mentioned pedestals, but you are also taking away from interior space using them and depending what all you want to mount you may be a tad track shy. Doing an L across the back and, in my opinion, having it in your way if you want to use the transom area of the boat to board/net/etc could be a PITA. I consistantly use all the track on my boat (each gunnel.. a 4 footer at rear and a 3 footer further forward for when using planner mast).. you can't have too much.

I would stick with Pursuit/Transtech or Bert's.... or one of Goran's creations that will work with either of these systems. Allows for off the shelf purchases of accessories, pedestals, swivels, holders, etc.

Edited by irishfield

Hi Dave here from Trojan Tackle...80% of my work is custom...tracks will work but I prefer risers off the carpeted deck on this type of boat as well. How can I contact you ...you can e mail me [email protected] and I wil call you to discuss if you wish. Concepts and rigging discussions are free

Thanks Dave....

I'll send you an e-mail shortly! :thumbsup_anim:

My family has the same boat, Tracker Tundra SC. The most hardcore trolling we do is in the fall for BOQ Walleye. We went to metal supermarket and bought small half rectangle aluminum bars. Its bolted to the inner wall, on top of your life jacket. This 'plate form' is just tall enough so that the rod holders we bought can reach over and short enough to not be a visual distraction. There are predrilled holes to bolt Scotty rod holders. We can also take the whole thing off when we want. My explanation isn't very precise, I can send you more info if you need.

If you are down-rigging for Salmon, its probably better to spent the big money on the professional equipments. :)

I personally do not like drilling too many holes on my Boeing Engineered aluminum alloy.

My family has the same boat, Tracker Tundra SC. The most hardcore trolling we do is in the fall for BOQ Walleye. We went to metal supermarket and bought small half rectangle aluminum bars. Its bolted to the inner wall, on top of your life jacket. This 'plate form' is just tall enough so that the rod holders we bought can reach over and short enough to not be a visual distraction. There are predrilled holes to bolt Scotty rod holders. We can also take the whole thing off when we want. My explanation isn't very precise, I can send you more info if you need.

If you are down-rigging for Salmon, its probably better to spent the big money on the professional equipments. :)

I personally do not like drilling too many holes on my Boeing Engineered aluminum alloy.

I'm mainly trolling for Muskie and Lakers...there will be a couple of fall trips to Quinte....hopefully I'll be rigged up for Salmon next year.

Marc Thorpe uses Trojan Tackle equipment and I must admit, they are pretty hard to beat. He has the "hockey sticks" on each side of the boat and they really are solid units. In fact, I think that if you visit their website, you'll see Marc's boat and how his are set up for muskie. I might even have a pic or two of them here. Good luck.

Marc Thorpe uses Trojan Tackle equipment and I must admit, they are pretty hard to beat. He has the "hockey sticks" on each side of the boat and they really are solid units. In fact, I think that if you visit their website, you'll see Marc's boat and how his are set up for muskie. I might even have a pic or two of them here. Good luck.

I have a few pics of Marc's boat Roy.. I'll dig one up..

Here's a shot in the old boat..

Tu.jpg

Edited by irishfield

Doing an L across the back and, in my opinion, having it in your way if you want to use the transom area of the boat to board/net/etc could be a PITA.

I can't argue your reasoning but the L shape makes it substantially more sturdy when mounting riggers on or near the corners. Plus you can add a couple Salties at the back. Trade off... 2 seconds inconvenience vs. 6-8 hours on the boat with a slick setup.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the replies guys....I decided to go with Trojan Tackle for the customized rod mounts..Dave does awesome work and I'm really impressed with the mounts he made for me... :thumbsup_anim:

Just finished installing them this afternoon.....Muskie opener is 10 days away here on the Ottawa R......I can hardly wait!!

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg